New
Find
Notify
Tools

7mm Rem Mag to 257 Wby
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I inherited a 7mm Rem Mag from my father when he passed away. It was one of the first ones Rem made in the early 60s. I already have a 7mm Mag that I've had since I was 13. I don't need another one but the rifle has a lot of sentimental value to me. So I'm thinking about making it into a 257 Wby. I'm thinking this should be an easy conversion. Bolt face is nearly identical so barrel swap should be the biggest issue. I'd likebto know what else may need done? Feeding issues etc...?

Posts: 1351 | Location: CO born, but in Athens, TX now. | Registered: 03 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
7 mm Rem Mag what? Went the other way with a Lazermark. Bobby Pitchford had to burn the old barrel off, FWIW. He says Weatherby barrels don't always "spin" off.

Posts: 4881 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BNagel:
7 mm Rem Mag what? Went the other way with a Lazermark. Bobby Pitchford had to burn the old barrel off, FWIW. He says Weatherby barrels don't always "spin" off.

This one is one of the original 700 ADLs in 7mm Rem Mag. Dad got it in 1963 just after I was born. I don't know how many deer, elk and antelope fell to that rifle.

Posts: 1351 | Location: CO born, but in Athens, TX now. | Registered: 03 January 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
7 mag to 257 Wby. Yep swap barrels and go. Basically the same case so feeding shouldn't be an issue.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would think long & hard before pulling that barrel. Most of the early 7mm Rem. Mags. came with Hart stainless barrels that were "blued".

Posts: 177 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 August 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 375sunrise:
I would think long & hard before pulling that barrel. Most of the early 7mm Rem. Mags. came with Hart stainless barrels that were "blued".

+1

Remington was afraid that the 7mm Magnum would follow the 264 Winchester and be a barrel burner. They opted for the more expensive stainless steel with the original 7 mags. They were essentially match grade barrels and most of the time you can tell if you have one of the old cyanide blued barrels as they will show lots of funny little white specks in the bluing and no rust after a few years rather than the standard even wear and rust pits that chromoly barrels normally show. It would be a shame to pull it if it still shoots. But, it's not my gun.

The gun is not really all that valuable unless you happened to have one that is still new in the box and unfired. It's simply the principal of the thing.

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Keep your Dad's as is and rebarrel yours.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigster:

Good idea
and the project should be as simple as screw one out, and replace with a .257 barrel chambered in 257 wby
I have a 257 wby custom on a sako action and really like it for long range work on deer and smaller stuff

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2646 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigster:

Thought about that but don't want to change my rifle. I've been carrying it for 40+ years and I know exactly where it hits and have complete faith in it. Hate to mess with something that works.

Dad's rifle doesn't instill the same level of confidence. When I need to put meat on the ground I know my 7mm will do it and any mistakes will be mine and mine alone and that's why I'm considering doing the work on that one and not mine.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thought about that but don't want to change my rifle. I've been carrying it for 40+ years and I know exactly where it hits and have complete faith in it. Hate to mess with something that works.

tu2 Confidence counts.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would just pull the barrel and stick a good Lothar Walthar 257 Wby barrel on it as that is what YOU want..You can probably sell the Hart barrel if you want, Its just another used barrel and no better than any other quality barrel such as LW, Krieger, Douglas and a host of others, all good barrels.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42152 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I'm of the "do what you want" camp, but stories like this always remind me of the fella who shows off an old hatchet and says, "This here's my grandpa's favorite hatchet. When my dad inherited it, he had to replace the head, and since I've inherited it, I've had to replace the handle. But it served grandpa well, and now it serves me well."

Have fun with your 257.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
This here's my grandpa's favorite hatchet. When my dad inherited it, he had to replace the head, and since I've inherited it, I've had to replace the handle.

rotflmo

As usual just my $.02
Paul K