Find
Notify
Tools

Model 70 hole spacing
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted
My pre 64 actions, both standard and magnum, measure 7.5", best I can measure from center of rear screw to center of front screw. Would somebody double-check that for me. I've got a guy selling me a Blackburn bottom metal for a model 70 and he says the hole spacing is 7 5/8. Not sure if the post 64s had longer spacing or not. Thanks.

Posts: 895 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota | Registered: 13 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
According to the chart I have Winchester 70 LA’s are 7 â… inch center to center.

Unless you have tapered points on your calipers that center themselves in the holes it’s a bit tricky to get an accurate reading.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted Hide Post
Hey Rick, thanks. Any difference in that measurment for a pre 64 vs post 64? Another way to look at, does Blackburn make different sizes for the model 70 LA.

Posts: 895 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota | Registered: 13 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't have a rifle and calipers in front of me, but I've used several synthetic post64 blanks for pre-64's, and a pre-64 is definitely shorter by about 3/16 than a post-64

one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted Hide Post
Free Miner thanks for the post. Made me think of calling McMillan and asking them about the hole spacing on their stocks. I'm on the phone now.

one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted Hide Post
Per McMillan:

pre 64 hole spacing is 7.45"
post 64 LA is 7.57"
post 64 short is 7.035"

The guy is measuring 7 5/8 which is 7.625 so I am guessing his measurements are slightly off and it is actually 7.57" for a post 64.