New
Find
Notify
Tools

File and rasp sharpening
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Boggs Tools, Paramount CA since 1932 was the "go to" for file and rasp sharpening. Another victim of "Easy money on unemployment...why work?" They just could not get the workers...threw in the towel.

Of course, added more bodies to the bottom feeders that fewer and fewer honest workers must support.

Posts: 3609 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Just get your files from China. They don't work, but they are cheap.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dang, sorry to hear that, I have about a dozen rasps/files set aside to ship down to be sharpened and just have been putting it off.

J Wisner

Posts: 1473 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chemical file and rasp sharpening with sulfuric acid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRakH7TrE2E

Posts: 3780 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
Boggs Tools, Paramount CA since 1932 was the "go to" for file and rasp sharpening. Another victim of "Easy money on unemployment...why work?" They just could not get the workers...threw in the towel.

Of course, added more bodies to the bottom feeders that fewer and fewer honest workers must support.

Bought my Nicholson cabinet makers rasps from them many years ago now and they sharpened them prior to shipping. Worked wonderfully. Sad to hear they fell victom to the Covid!

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was asking the same question and googling YouTube suggests just putting files into a bucket of vinegar or sulphuric acid seems to clean them up and sharpen the edges.

Posts: 985 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Heym SR20, I tied that and it works a bit. Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3402 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The acid treatment works after a fashion..all you're doing is roughening up all surfaces. Boggs used something like a carbide sandblaster. They sharpened milling cutters by grinding the cutting face...thereby losing a lot less diameter...You bet I'll miss their services.

Almost any acid "works" hydrochloric is usually as aggressive as you want to get..even vinegar will do the job..just takes longer,

Posts: 3609 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I sent over 30 files to them a year or two ago.

They did an excellent job.

So many things happening now, our world will never be the same.

Craftsman

Posts: 1545 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just got off the phone with Boggs Tools. They assured me that they are still in business and still sharpening files and rasps.

Posts: 186 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sweet!

Posts: 1169 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Boggs is very much still in business.

Called them this morning and had a nice chat.
He said their website should be back up and running now, if not very soon.

He also talked about the other items they can sharpen, drills, end mills etc.

Will pack up my wood files, and ship them out tomorrow to them.

J Wisner

Posts: 1473 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
speaking of files, what are some good quality files to purchase for hobby type file work.

KJK

Posts: 692 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 December 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
WELL!...S.O.B...Yep, the call I received ,ID'd as Boogs Tools" must have been some sort of scam. Really pisses me off that such things occur...sorry for the panic...nobody is more pleased than me to see all's OK.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dang scammers.

I was sitting at the table last night in the middle of dinner and my cell phone rings, its a local # so I answer it.
Some old lady, said you just called me ? OK how long ago I ask, less than 5 minutes she replys.
Sorry but that was not me as I am currently in the middle of dinner, and have not used my phone for several hours.
Had to be a scammer.

Just hate to see caller ID on my house phone, and its me calling myslef.

Back to the files

I had a great talk with Boggs, and they sell a lot of different brands of files as well as all sizes and types.
He wanted to know how I got their info, I told him I was a first time customer, and who gave me their info, so Duane, he has you on his short list now.
Great guy with LOTS of information

J Wisner

One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by J Wisner:
Dang scammers.

I was sitting at the table last night in the middle of dinner and my cell phone rings, its a local # so I answer it.
Some old lady, said you just called me ? OK how long ago I ask, less than 5 minutes she replys.
Sorry but that was not me as I am currently in the middle of dinner, and have not used my phone for several hours.
Had to be a scammer.

Just hate to see caller ID on my house phone, and its me calling myslef.

Back to the files

I had a great talk with Boggs, and they sell a lot of different brands of files as well as all sizes and types.
He wanted to know how I got their info, I told him I was a first time customer, and who gave me their info, so Duane, he has you on his short list now.
Great guy with LOTS of information

Talked to them today...explained what happened, said they had not been a subject of this before, but a heads up doesn't hurt.

I've had the 49's and 50's sharpened many times over..in fact the Nicholson logo has almost disappeared on some of them, They've sharpened my Ariou's at least twice. Even the finest cut Swiss files come back at least as good, maybe better than new

My point is that you're way ahead by purchasing quality stuff in the first place.....and..oh yes...thanks, Jim Can't help but wonder why the somewhat elaborate ruse..What was the point? Kinda makes me "Skitzo"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shipped 20 files to Boggs on July 20. Received them back today, better than new. Total cost including return shipping is $49.41.

Posts: 186 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got 20+ there now for sharpening.

A few rasps that have been sharpened there in the past and but have their Reject red marker on the tang now, I put in a very mild Muriadic Acid soln and let then soak for a while.
I take those out every couple days and brush them off w/a plastic scrub brush to clear any rust or saw dust, ect from the teeth and put them back in. They sharpen up quite bit from the acid etch.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I see Hm depot has 30% vinegar. Have any of you ever tried it for sharpening files. What would be a good soak time for this solution.

Posts: 1169 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Received my sharpened files back today from Boggs, an great job at a reasonable price.
J Wisner