Find
Notify
Tools

8x40 scope base screws for a .375 ??
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted
I would like to know if our resident gunsmiths think upgrading a Mauser in 375 H&H to 8x40 scope base screws is a good idea.

I know that it is not "required" as I have and FN Mauser in 375 H&H that has survived 700+ rounds with the original 6x48 screws holding a Leupold 1-5x.

I am asking because I am having a new 375 H&H finished-up and I figure that if I am going to go to 8x40 I had better do it now. It is also an FN commercial action.

So I know going to 8x40 will provide added strength, but are there any drawbacks? Do you think going to 8x40 is worthwhile on a 375?

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6836 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
Do you think going to 8x40 is worthwhile on a 375?

No, I like to hold on to those as part of a plan "B" package in case something goes wrong. I've owned a lot of rifles chambered in 375 and 450 Ackley Mags over the years and never felt the need for anything more than the standard 6x48 on those. If the original threads appear to be clean and sharp you should be good to go. I would chase the threads prior to mounting the scope though. Think hygiene, nothing like a good, clean, well defined hole! Big Grin

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Westpac:
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
Do you think going to 8x40 is worthwhile on a 375?

No, I like to hold on to those as part of a plan "B" package in case something goes wrong. I've owned a lot of rifles chambered in 375 and 450 Ackley Mags over the years and never felt the need for anything more than the standard 6x48 on those. If the original threads appear to be clean and sharp you should be good to go. I would chase the threads prior to mounting the scope though. Think hygiene, nothing like a good, clean, well defined hole! Big Grin

And no FRICKIN loctite either!

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5506 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Huh?
I loves to blue loctite my mounting screws. Edumacate me please

quote:
And no FRICKIN loctite either!

Posts: 718 | Location: Utah | Registered: 14 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So far I have had to 8x40 one rifle,a 35whelen of all things.I would save the option for later if the need arises.

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by plainsman456:
So far I have had to 8x40 one rifle,a 35whelen of all things.I would save the option for later if the need arises.

Generally the 8x40 route is an attempt to treat a problem not cure it. More often than not persistenet loosening is caused by poor base to receiver fit.

What make model is your Whelen?

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4861 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the answers so far.

OK, so I guess my question should have been: at what recoil level do you believe it is a good idea to install 8x40 screws as a preventative measure?

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6836 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
460 Weatherby!

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The whelen was built on a 1916 spandu action with leupold base.I had 2 sets of screws damaged.1 set was bent,almost didn't get them out.

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote