New
Find
Notify
Tools

Williams bottom metal on M70?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Why would you change from the factory configuration? Don't interepret as the factory option is great, just why switch the bottom metal, extractor or trigger guard on the factory rifle? Rifle looneyism aside.

Posts: 279 | Location: Cypress, TX | Registered: 20 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well...then..don't do it !

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Williams bottom metal is one piece, not two like the factory, better made and better looking. The extractor from Williams is not a MIM part as the current extractor is.

Posts: 952 | Location: Mass | Registered: 14 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pheonix,
BY your argument, plenty guys should not have Mcmillans and/or custom barrels,... as DW said, if you dont want NBM or Ext,
- then dont, I wont condemn you for your choice.
I believe latter M70 classics had one piece BM, albiet, still a casting.

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For whatever reason, I screwed up the post and meant to say don't interepret as the factory option is great. Just more curious as to why folks switch. I guess I should have proof read.

Posts: 279 | Location: Cypress, TX | Registered: 20 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
I swapped my Post-64 and my Pre-64 bottom metal for Williams' Oberndorf style. They are are not only better looking but, as stated before, you don't have that middle guard screw to contend with. I e-Bayed the original bottom metal and darn near got the same for them as the Williams' cost me.
Personally, it was the best thing I could have done for my rifles.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Willaims Oberndorf Style fits both the post 64 Push feed and Classic actions?

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I replace with the one piece bottom metal as a matter of routine, unless I'm trying to keep a pre 64 "original". Three reasons: Several of my pre 64s have come to me with a split in the wood running back from the third (middle) screw. The lack of a third screw permits a stronger replacement wood stock. Second, some factory metal tends to open at the wrong time, and some is too hard to open- not a problem with the replacement. Last, I like the look and functionality of the inside-the-bow release.

Posts: 80 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 11 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
dcdone,
Does the one piece replacement take much inletting to install. I am all for a nearly "free" up grade if I can add the Williams without much cost, assuming decent resale value for the originals, or modification to my existing stocks.
One of my rifile has the nice but 2 piece Super Express hardware that might look good on another M70. That would give me a reason to build another rifle. But then it would have to have a Williams sooner or later....

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only Williams piece I have on hand is for a late production New Haven Classic Featherweight short (308 length) action. It is a drop-in fit. You really should talk to Matt Williams at the firm re your particular needs.

Posts: 80 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 11 September 2008Reply With Quote