Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bolt face diameter for switch barrels
 Login/Join

posted
Can I use my Weatherby long bolt in 338-378 for a switch barrel in 308. Would the extra space around the case head of the 308 be a problem?

I am tring to make use of the same bolt, action, stock, and scope but change the barrel to 308.

<JBelk>
posted
dogtrainer--

The 308 will fire in the larger bolt face but you'll have to knock the fired case out with a cleaning rod. The extractor won't touch it.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
... not to mention that it would pop right out of the magazine....
jeffe

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
JBelk

I am glad to hear that the rifle will go bang using the long bolt of the 338-378. As for case extraction, I think I could fabricate a custom extractor (using high carbon steel) that would have a longer claw.

If I decide to go forward with the project, what are some of the .308 barrel options available that I could thread onto the Weatherby action? Could I find something low cost at a gun show? What is the thread size (description) for the Weatherby action?

jeffeosso

I will have to look for a 308 magazine box that might just slip inside of the 378 magazine box. If not, I am sure I can come up with a way to angle (funnel) the .308 rounds to the top of the magazine.

<Kimmo E>
posted
Why do you a switch barrel in 308w it is much cheaper to buy a new rifle? Why not a simple rebarrel to 30-378we?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I decide to go forward with the project, what are some of the .308 barrel options available that I could thread onto the Weatherby action? Could I find something low cost at a gun show? What is the thread size (description) for the Weatherby action?

Just grab a cheap Rem 700 and screw the barrel out and then screw it into the Weatherby and use a spacer (the Rem barrel will screw into far otherwise) and then grind down the Weatherby bolt so it will fit the Remington barrel counterbore.

If you do it right than you can feed and shoot 308s and 338/378s alternatively [Big Grin]

Australia is not unique.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
or a 30wsm. that would simplify much.........................
woofer

Posts: 741 | Location: vermont. thanks for coming, now go home! | Registered: 05 February 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Guys thanks for the suggestions.

The reason for the standard cartridge switch barrel idea is to be able to use the rifle as a training rifle; ammo would be less expensive and the barrel would not wear out as quickly.

I think ideal cartridges for this barrel include .308, 30-06, and 8mm mauser. 8mm ammo is avaliable surplus but I do not know if a surplus 8mm barrel has the right threads for the Weatherby action.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Seems to me the cheapest option FOR A SWITCH BARREL is to buy a new / used Weatherby bolt w/ a .473" bolt face. Since it's a switch barrel, each barrel will headspace properly with it's own bolt. Not sure how that gang of locking lugs on the new bolt will match up though.

Honestly though, the cheapest and best option is to buy a new, functional rifle in 308, instead of sinking $$$$ into a poorly functioning Franken-rifle. Or, reload and use less powder for practice ammo.

Good luck,
Todd

BTW, I checked Numrich ( www.e-gunparts.com ) for you, they didn't have any Mark V bolts. Maybe call Weatherby?

[ 12-19-2002, 06:29: Message edited by: Todd Getzen ]

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote