Find
Notify
Tools

Swedish Mauser diopter question
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted
Gentlemen, below you should see the rear bridge of a Swedish Mauser I purchased years ago. I am surmising the four holes relate to a diopter rear sight and would like to find one that fits this pattern. I see many, if not most diopters use a two bolt offset pattern. Does anyone recognize this particular bolt pattern or have leads to where I might find a diopter that would fit?

Thanks!

Heath

http://s8.photobucket.com/albu...rrent=HoleySwede.jpg

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There's at least one outfit in Canada that was selling original Swede target sights of several types but I've slept since I read about it and so don't remember (grin). Was it Samco? Anyway, there is also at least one source for these original Swede sights in Europe but again, I've slept since then. Perhaps you might consult over on one of the Mauser forums?
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
this gun came from SAMCO, actually! i'll peruse their site again to see what i can dig up. and i've re-registered with another mauser forum, awaiting activation! I was hoping one of our Swedish counterparts might happen by and say, "Oh, you need a XX!" Big Grin

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try
House of Karlina

Target Sights

If you try the military collectors forums like gunboards you will find people that will know exactly what you want.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
thanks for the help guys... but i decided to look up how a diopter sight works, and I don't think that's what i'm after. i was thinking it was like a peep, but sounds much more involved and suited best for target shooting. or perhaps i'm reading it wrong... anyone hunt with a diopter?

NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Diopter and peep are quite similar in form but quite different in traditional usage. The diopter's primary function is to sharpen the shooter's focus on multiple planes (rear open sight, front sight and target) and therefore perfectly exact centering is not absolutely required in the diopter's repeatability.

Thus you see rather flimsy & imprecise folding diopters that probably wouldn't be sturdy enough to serve as the only rear sight. That's why the diopters normally fold, they're not actually necessary for all shooting and their repeatability is not usually a factor in the rifle's accuracy, so quality makers install the folding ones as a 'plus'.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
do a google image search on swede sights, etc., and you'll probably turn up a 4-holer.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of igorrock
posted Hide Post
I find this picture from net. Maybe somebody has sometimes changed the diopter from one to another...

Posts: 410 | Location: Finland | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
might be Busk bolt pattern. anyone know anything about the Busk sight?

NRA Life Member

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I have a Mauser action with a similar hole pattern. They are for the rear base of a detachable scope on my rifle.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IIRC a busk needs a slot cut across the rear bridge.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
This is probably the most attractive of the peeps that were made for these Mausers. If you hunt you can find one for around $100.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
YES! I like that... remember what it's called?

NRA Life Member

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Hellqvist Jaktdiopter

Basically works like the old Ashley Express or XS Sights ghost ring sight.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4863 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
thanks Mike!

NRA Life Member

one of us
posted Hide Post
Also called a Tradewinds Snapshooter receiver sight. A favorite of Francis Sell with his Tradewinds HVA 458/456 in 6.5x55. Good write up in Deer Hunters Guide by Sell.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by manhasset:
Also called a Tradewinds Snapshooter receiver sight. A favorite of Francis Sell with his Tradewinds HVA 458/456 in 6.5x55. Good write up in Deer Hunters Guide by Sell.

That must have been 50 years ago.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just about, 1964. I went back and looked up my copy from Outdoor Like Book Club, I was a steady customer. Francis Sell also favored a 2 1/2 power scope on his Husqvarna full stock 6.5x55. In his book he calls it the "Cascade Snapshooter" receiver sight and he had a hand in its design.

Last yr I tried to get Kensight intrested in remaking this receiver sight. I sent them my copy and they took it apart and took measurements, but nothing as of yet. They make a nice copy of the M-1 carbine receiver sight for $25.00, so I thought this could be easily remade.