New
Find
Notify
Tools

bedding
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
There seems to be two schools of though when it comes to bedding.
One is the recoil lug is taped and left as a slack fit in the bedding the other seems to be that the recoil lug is a precise fit in the bedding..

I would normally just put some release agent on the lug and bed it as tight as possible,but I watched a video on ballisticstudies.com whereby he used tape around the lug giving a slack fit.
I was under the impression that there should be no movement at all in the action once bedded.
any thoughts

regards
Griff

Posts: 1179 | Location: scotland | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by griff:
There seems to be two schools of though when it comes to bedding.
One is the recoil lug is taped and left as a slack fit in the bedding the other seems to be that the recoil lug is a precise fit in the bedding..

I would normally just put some release agent on the lug and bed it as tight as possible,but I watched a video on ballisticstudies.com whereby he used tape around the lug giving a slack fit.
I was under the impression that there should be no movement at all in the action once bedded.
any thoughts

regards
Griff

There would be no point in bedding the recoil lug totally "slack".

I tape the front, bottom & sides of the recoil lug to allow the lug to be drawn down into the bedding W/the rear surface tight against the bedding.

On a Mauser or other irregularly shaped receiver, I also tape the intermediate area behind the front receiver ring to the front edge of the rear bridge bedding the rear bridge tight W/several layers of tape on the rear of the tang to prevent wood splitting from recoil.

I bed the front ring & 1st 3" of barrel tight W/the rest of the barrel free floated via .030" of pattern maker's wax & tape on the tube when bedding the channel.

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Partial tape like he said -- mighty hard to get out of the stock with no tape...

Posts: 4883 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I tape the front, bottom & sides of the recoil lug to allow the lug to be drawn down into the bedding W/the rear surface tight against the bedding.

tu2 Me too!

The bench rest rifles are a complete glue in ( takes a heat gun to get them out ).

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
You can do it both ways. On those receivers with separate recoil lugs like the Remington 700, if I'm taping anything it'll be the bottom of the lug so it doesn't make contact and interfere with the seating of the receiver. On those actions like the Weatherby Mk V and Vanguard, where the action screw enters the lug itself, then you want full contact on the bottom of the lug since it is an anchor point.

Taping the sides and the front of the lug makes removal from the stock easier, but it is not necessary.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:

tu2 Me too

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted Hide Post
quote:

I also allow a little slack behind the Rear Tang to allow for heat expansion.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 08 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larrys01:
quote:

In my case it's to allow for recoil movement.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I have solved alot of "the rifle wont group" problems for guys by doing this as well.

Posts: 1815 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote