Find
Notify
Tools

cz front sight
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 300magman
posted
How would one remove the front sight from a CZ 550 safari magnum. I want to add a barrel band but my gunsmith told me it could not be done without damage to the sight during removal. Can it be removed or is he just trying not to do the work?

Posts: 323 | Location: Jackson, Miss | Registered: 12 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had two barrel bands added to CZ 550s with no evidence of damage and very affordably - find another smith. Good luck. Charlie.

Posts: 159 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 30 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The front sight n the CZ 550 /602 is sweat soldered on with a high tin content solder.

From memory there is a small coil spring in the sight block wchich acts against a detent plunger to hold the sight blade in place, this spring will need removing before heat is applied or it will temper the spring and soften it.

Otherwise the sight band will heat up and slide off.

Have you thought about having a saddle type swivel point fitted rather than a full banded type, this way you can have one added without having to disturb the foresight, sure the barrel will still need cleaning up around the soldered area but will involve less heat being applied to the barrel.

Posts: 342 | Location: York / U.K | Registered: 14 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 300magman
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the information. He tried to talk me into a swivel point but I told him I would have to think about it.

Posts: 323 | Location: Jackson, Miss | Registered: 12 October 2004Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
You've identified a gunsmith that can't solder.

It's a simple process to remove banded front sight and replace it. You need a new gunsmith.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947