Notify
Tools

Re-barrel a rimfire?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted
Can this be done?
Re-barrel a .22LR bolt rifle to .17 Mach 2? Who is a source for barrels and who would have an interest in doing the work?

Posts: 2155 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cliff,
I would contact Richard Gorham in Claremore, Okla. He is THE RIMFIRE GUNSMITH for the competition guys. He does fabulous work, is quick, and reasonable. He has my new CM barrel blank looking to get my receiver to barrel it.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can also have it relined, at probably a lot less cost but also maybe a lot less accuracy.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
Thanks! Butch I sent you a pm. Please disregard it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cliff Lyle:
Can this be done?
Re-barrel a .22LR bolt rifle to .17 Mach 2? Who is a source for barrels and who would have an interest in doing the work?

Which action? That's the determining factor. A lot of rimfire rifles had their barrels pressed in and pinned, which makes the process a bit more difficult.

Posts: 714 | Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin | Registered: 09 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, it can be done. Brownells has the liners and piloted drills.

Mike Ryan - Gunsmith

Posts: 352 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 31 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a stevens favorit relined to 17 MKII.
It is very accurate. It costs around $100.

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gzig5:
quote:
Originally posted by Cliff Lyle:
Can this be done?

Which action? That's the determining factor. A lot of rimfire rifles had their barrels pressed in and pinned, which makes the process a bit more difficult.

Good question and I don't know. Can you give me a list of actions with barrels that are threaded compared to pressed?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You don't know what action you want rebarreled? The list would be too long. It would be easier to list the ones that aren't pressed in or pinned. Probably most rimfires that originally sold for less than $300 are not threaded. Most custom actions are threaded with the exception of Anschutz, which are not custom, but high end and are pressed in. I'm not familiar with the 17 Mach 2, but as long as it is rated at similar pressure as the .22LR, the conversion should work because the case head and body are the same size. If the barrel can't be removed without damaging the action, which I believe is not too uncommon on cheaper rifles, you could try to bore it out and reline with the barrel mounted, but I wouldn't expect great results.

Posts: 714 | Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin | Registered: 09 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A major issue to consider is cutting the extractor relief(s). Next to impossible with the barrel still attached to the action.

Mike Ryan - Gunsmith

Posts: 352 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 31 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You cut the recesses then epoxy the liner in.

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote