New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester 92 takedown
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
The neighbor inherited a Winchester 92 takedown rifle. It was pretty cruddy with gummed oil and dirt all through the action so he asked if I would take it apart and clean it out for him. He was afraid he wouldn't be able to get it back together. While I was taking it apart I noticed 3 screws that didn't seem to have any purpose. They are on the inside of the takedown flange on the barrel. They are hidden by the forend wood. There is one on each side, up near the barrel and one at the bottom of the flange. They are screwed into blind holes. Each screw has a small nub at the end. They look like they were original to the gun. I first thought they may be to take up wear on the takedown feature, but they are screwed into blind holes.
Can anybody explain what they are for?
Thanks

Posts: 41 | Location: USA | Registered: 17 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by yellowdog1:
Each screw has a small nub at the end. They look like they were original to the gun. I first thought they may be to take up wear on the takedown feature, but they are screwed into blind holes.
Can anybody explain what they are for?
Thanks

You are correct, they're for adjusting the takedown tighter as the parts wear over the years. By tightening the screws, the thin metal on the bottom of the blind holes is pushed outward, making firmer contact with the opposing surface as the barrel is tightened down.

Actually pretty awkward and crude when compared to the contemporary and IMO MUCH superior TD system used by Marlin at that time.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you. Wow, that is a crude method. I would have never guessed they were supposed to push out the metal at the bottom of the holes. At first I was thinking that possibly Winchester had a screw up on this gun and let it get out without the 3 screw holes being drilled completely through. My way of thinking, letting the 3 screws bear directly on the face of the action would have been the more logical way to go.

Posts: 41 | Location: USA | Registered: 17 February 2005Reply With Quote