Find
Notify
Tools

Lee Enfield trigger job
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted
Does anyone have any experience or ideas on how to improve the Lee Enfield trigger? I plan to 'lose' the half cock as I consider it an unsafe feature (due to the chance of the cocking piece slipping of one’s fingers and it works as a stiff trigger on my MkI - but it will still catch the cocking piece if drawn past the notch before slipping).

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get a cocking piece such as the ones found on the #1MKIII with the knurled flange on it and fit it to your #4MK1. Won't slip and looks way better than the #4 style. Hope this helps. Frank

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The rifle was never designed to be carried and used like a single action revolver! To improve the pull polish the bottom of the cocking piece.

Posts: 6820 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try this guy www.huberconcepts.com I used his on a couple of 45-70's I built.

Never rode a bull, but have shot some.

NRA life member
NRA LEO firearms instructor (retired)
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1510 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Get a cocking piece such as the ones found on the #1MKIII with the knurled flange on it ...
It's the scope that makes it difficult to grip securely. The shape does not help either. Both my No.4 and No.1 MkIII have the same cocking pieces. Both No.4 cocking pieces?

I know that some folks (most folks) would go out and buy a suitable rifle for the job at hand but this is a rifle in a caliber that I have wanted for a long time and it was gifted to me by friends so I plan to make it work for me! More fun that way. Cool And hey, I didn't give up on my hornet with its rusted bore, and ended up with a rifle that shoots pretty damn good and is way more powerful than any other hornet on the planet! (Almost)
Besides, it is an opportunity to show my appreciation when they see me having fun and success with the gift they gave me!

My No.1 MkI* has the safety on the cocking piece.

I polished the anvil on the MkIII and it makes a real difference. Very good for hunting, I think but this is supposed to be a varmint rifle. It is chambered in 303-25. A pretty fine cartridge too! I might just leave it and learn to shoot with it like it is (now that it is so much smoother).

I have upgraded the scope.

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
303guy, the cocking piece shown in your photo is basically a #4 style cocking piece. The one I was referring to is different in that it does not have the grooves cut on either side. Has what one may refer to as a flange at the end and the edges are knurled. Way easier to grab hold of. Looks like someone swapped cocking pieces on your #1MKIII bolt. Should be easy to find given your location. Happy New Year Frank

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The early SMLE cocking piece - single flange - was replaced by the slab sided version partway through WW1. It is not interchangeable with the similar No4 cocking piece as the thread for the No1 firing pin is not the same as the No4 firing pin thread.

On the other hand, the No4 firing pin and the associated cocking piece is able to fit the SMLE bolt. Answer to your dilemma, put on a replacement SMLE cocking piece of whatever shape, or, replace the SMLE firing pin and cocking piece with the No4 pin and cocking piece. My recommendation ?, put on a replacement SMLE cocking piece. If you do not have a spare, try Gunworks Canterbury or virtually any gunsmith.

Arte et Marte

Posts: 116 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 09 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the suggestions, folks. at this point, I plan to make a striker and cocking piece, possibly with a stiffer spring and shorter stroke. I see no reason not fit a cock-on-opening cam and that needs a different cocking piece anyway! If it is not satisfactory, I will simply put the original one back in and make a different one to try.

Happy New Year to you all! beer

Regards
303Guy