New
Find
Notify
Tools

marlin 357 carbine fail to feed .38's
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
We bought my brother a used marlin lever gun, pre safety for christmas / graduation / birthday. It did not want to feed 357's, partly due to bullet shape. It also would not easily lock up sometime with 357's, but not consistent. It will not lock up on 38's unless you force the lever closed (and I mean force). Doing so removes metal from the rim of the 38, as I assume the extractor is forced over rim. Should this gun shoot 38's ? (That's one reason I thought people bought them). Anyone else have this problem or know of a fix (feel free to skip the "send it to me", or the "only shoot 357's" other smart ass comments appreciated, though). Thanks in advance

Posts: 168 | Location: Lyndonville, NY USA, en route to Central Square | Registered: 24 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
It is not functioning correctly with the .357s so contact the maker for warranty work.

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Check your chamber for lead build up. maybe the previuos owner shot too many lead bullets in .38 and the chamber is fowled with lead. Kind of along the lines of someone with a .357 revolver that only shot .38 wadcutters. After a while it takes some serious cleaning to get the chambers clean again.

Posts: 83 | Location: ND | Registered: 23 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one just like it I find bullet shape is a key factor I use 158 rem sp they seem to work the best. I do not shoot 38's in mine. I would give it a good cleaning before shipping it out you could have fouling and other dirt causing the trouble. I find they are an neat little gun and have shot several deer with mine and one gray squirrel with mine never did find much of the gray left.

Posts: 19597 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I literally wore one of these rifles out and loved it like I have enjoyed few rifles in my life. That said, the ONLKY feeding problems I ever encountered were due to length. Example: It will not feed wadcutters. But ANY proper length 38 or 357 fed just fine. Check your OAL on this ammo. Something is very wrong here. Any regular length 38 ammo should pour thru this rifle.

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote