New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gun Building?????
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am very familiar with My guns. But would like to have another .223 and .22-250 built. I have never started from the ground up. I have had work done to the present guns i own, but never start from the ground.

1. I know the 2 different stocks that i want.
2. I'm not sure on the barrels yet.
3. I'm a 700 man, so i know what actions i want.
4. What are my options on the actions, new/used? I like the matte finishes on the VS and Sendero, but will buy stainless.
5. Can i have some advice on the barrels, I am not wanting to spend over $1000-1500 total each before the optics. These will both be P.D. guns off a rest. When looking for barrels will they be chambered from the factory or will a smith have to chamber a blank. What are the different manufactures. I mean i know the 10/22 barrels, any competent kid with a allen wrench could modify one of them.
I'm talking about the next step up from a factory barrel.

Where do i start? Other than haveing them bedded (which i would really like to learn), I would really like to put these together on my own.

I know this probably sounds, trivial to the more experienced people on here, but this is something that i have wanted for a while. And finally feel like i have found the right place to get some knowledgable answers.

Please help, any advice/direction would be helpful.

Thanks

Posts: 52 | Location: North Central, MO | Registered: 08 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Your choice of the 700 Rem action will serve you well. You have a wide choice of very fine bbl. makers to deal with. You could go to www.benchrestcentral.com and click on "barrels" to see what some of the prominent bbl makers have to offer. I would suggest that you speak with an experienced accuracy gunsmith before purchasing anything. The rifle you want to build doesn't sound like a do it yourself project, unless you have a good lathe, mill, and tooling for both. You would, of course, need to have the knowledge of how to complete the job. If I can be of any help, drop me an e-mail and I'll send you my phone #. I have been building BR and live varmint rifles for about 15 yrs.
Quote:

"Never argue with a fool, bystanders can't tell which one is the fool".

one of us
posted Hide Post
The link should be http://www.benchrest.com/

One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
there's really only the lock, stock and barrel.....you just find a used Remmy in the action size you want (as cheap as possible) and buy it. Take it apart and whammo, you have a third of it. You already said you know the stock you want...well...there you are 2/3 done already.

I've had very good luck with XX grade "FTC" barrels from Douglas. You can get them fromShilen and others as well.

"FTC" means the barrel is chambered, threaded, cut to length, crowned, and polished to a point. Have a smith fit the barrel to the action and blue it if the barrel is chrome moly.

We'll talk about bedding the barreled action to the stock when you get there.....

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Eddie i sent you a PM, When you respond Leave you # and i'll call you. Thanks for the link Africa.
Thanks for the info on the douglass and Shilen Vapo, I am about .0002" from starting these projects.

CNF

Posts: 52 | Location: North Central, MO | Registered: 08 January 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
First, I would suggest doing one at a time. You always find little quirks that you want to change after you build a rifle! Start by buying a used action in the size you want. Send the action to a good smith and let him put the barrel he recommends on it (as long as it's a top name). If he doesn't use top name barrels, go to someone else!
An easy alternative is to send it directly to Hart or Shilen and have them to put one of their barrels on it. They will square the action and do a good installation. When you get it back, bed it in the stock of your choice. There is lots of information on this site about bedding, or just ask.
Mount good bases on it, lap your scope rings and put the whole thing together. DO your load work-up and use the rifle for a few months. This will give you good experience and additional ideas for the second rifle.
Ask questions here and from your smith about everything. Just remember, gun cranks & smiths are very opinionated and what one loves, another may hate! Use barrels, stocks, triggers and other parts that have a proven track record with competetive shooters.
Enjoy, but be forwarned, It's a Terminal DESEASE!
John