Find
Notify
Tools

Action screw glued into action
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Flip
posted
a friend tried doing a bedding job ended up not getting enough release agent on the front screw, front screw wont turn, any ideas it is a mauser M98, worst case will a gunsmith be able to do something, friend is afraid he will lose the whole action

Flip

Posts: 931 | Location: Nambia | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had the same problem once. Used a soldering iron to apply heat to the head of the screw, then used a LARGE screwdriver to loosen.

Can't say it will work for you, but it relieved my tension! thumb

Posts: 1610 | Location: Shelby, Ohio | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the usual answers are freeze the gun, then try to back out the screw. also, heating the screw with a large soldering iron- hold the rifle so the screw is vertical, let the heat travel up so it makes it to the threaded portion, try backing out the screw.

I've never tried either method.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
fast on the draw, Don Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go to the hardware store and get an insert bit that fits the screw head. Find a drill press. Put the gun upside down on the drill press table. Put the insert in the chuck. Put a 1/4" wrench aroung the bit. Lower it into the screw head. Put pressure on the bit/screw with the spindle. Turn the screw out counterclockwise with the wrench. Never fails for me.

Jim

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
THAT is a damn good idea.

one of us
Picture of Flip
posted Hide Post
thanks for the advice

Flip

Posts: 931 | Location: Nambia | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd try driving some heat into the screw using either a soldering iron or a propane torch and a screw driver. I think the torch and screw driver method works better, as delivering heat quickly is the better option. Epoxy materials tend to loose strength pretty rapidly above 275F, so there is little chance that you can effect the heat treating of the screw you are trying to remove. That way, if the torch and screw driver method doesn't work, you can also try using the drill press method.

Hornady One Shot works great for release agent on screws and parts with complex features.

John in Oregon

Posts: 938 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tin can:
fast on the draw, Don Smiler

Yeah, and a little slow otherwise sometimes, TC! sofa

Posts: 1610 | Location: Shelby, Ohio | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did the frizer trick. Worked for me.
Hot or cold with Jim's idea cant fail.

one of us
posted Hide Post
A red hot copper rod the same size as the screw head works great to transfer heat to the threads.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote