THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Looking For a Persion Mauser or Other 29" Take-off Barrel

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking For a Persion Mauser or Other 29" Take-off Barrel
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted
I posted this on the Milsurp board, but I think I might get better response over here.

I bought a # matched 98/29 Persian Mauser barreled action a few years back to rechamber to 8X68S W/the barrel cut back to 26".

After 2 days of cleaning the crusted, dried cosmoline from the action, I discovered that the action I received had never been in a stock. There were no scratches where the hadgaurd snaps on & as soon as that is done, faint scratches result.

I was fortunate to get a very nice stock from a forum member, so now I have an unissued, # matched (except for the stock) complete 98/29 Persian Mauser.

Here's the rub.

I can't take it upon myself to hack up this rifle.

I already have 1 Persian Mauser take-off barrel, but I am consideriing using it for another re-barrel project.

If I can find a 28" large ring/large shank take-off barrel W/an excellent bore, I can get a "Bubbaized" 98 for a doner action, or use the "42" K98 action I already have.

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bump to the top!

I know that a few years ago, these actions where being used as the basis for custom M98 projects.

I got a take-off barrel & stock back then.

Surely there are some more take-off barrels floating around.

I'm willing to pay $50 for one W/a good bore. Even a bit of throat errosion is OK because nearly 1/2" of the throat will be cut away for an 8X68S chamber..

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
I was going to have my gunsmith rechamber a 98/22 barrel to 8x68s and cut it down for me some years ago, but he balked on the project because he did not feel like there was enough metal around the barrel to make an accurate magnum out of it. I allowed him to talk me out of it and a friend of mine in Colorado got the reamer.

Do you own any other 8x68s' and what is your experience with them?

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i have one. email me at gary_mm_gruber@verizon.net. $50 plus shipping is fine.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ggruber:
i have one. email me at gary_mm_gruber@verizon.net. $50 plus shipping is fine.

e-mail sent

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tex21:
I was going to have my gunsmith rechamber a 98/22 barrel to 8x68s and cut it down for me some years ago, but he balked on the project because he did not feel like there was enough metal around the barrel to make an accurate magnum out of it. I allowed him to talk me out of it and a friend of mine in Colorado got the reamer.

Do you own any other 8x68s' and what is your experience with them?

The Persian barrel is .547" in diameter out to 24". That should make for a stiff enough barrel for accuracy.

This will be my 1st 8X68S if I do go through W/it.

The cost of brass has me a bit concerned, but this would not be a high volume shooter.

I did have an 8mm/06 Ackley Improved that had the K98 barrel turned down. The contour was too thin & the barrel would "walk" the shots towards 11 o'clock if you shot consecutive shots till it was hitting about 4" high & slightly left. I hope to avoid this W/the meatier Persian Mauser barrel.

While the 23 3/8" 98K barrel on the 8mm/06 A.I. was turned to .478" @ the muzzle W/a straight taper to just ahead of the chamber before an abrupt "sweep" radius, the Persian barrel, if I decide to re-contour @ 26" length, will have a .504" muzzle, tapered @ .003" per inch for 14" & will @ that point, be "swept" @ a constant radius to leave more meat on the barrel. If I decide to go W/a 24" barrel length, the muzzle will be .547 & continue W/the same diameter for 12" before the radius sweep. The 2+" ahead of the chamber will be left @ the original diameter in all cases.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ya learn something every day.

I just did a bit of research & found out that the 98/22 is also a 29" barrel.

Any 29" larger ring large shank barrel chambered in 8X57 that has an excellent bore will do.