Find
Notify
Tools

SAKO Magazine length
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted
I have a SAKO L461 in .204 Ruger that I can't put more than 1 round in the magazine. I know it would be the easiest thing to seat the bullets deaper but, didn't SAKO make that action in .222 Magnum? What recommendations would any of you have for lengthening the box? Should I reform and weld an extension to the rear of the box and lengthen the reciver cut?
Any help would be appreciated.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yours is the first 204R on an L461 that I've heard of. As you say, it's probably due to the magazine box length. I think you're correct, in that Sako made the L461 in 222 Magnum, but I also remember that 222 Magnum factory ammo had deeply seated bullets. The earlier L46 action was a better fit for the 222 Magnum, with its magazine clip.

I've a few L461's in 17-222 Magnum, and in them I can only seat the bullets out to a maximum OAL of 2.280", in order to fully load the magazine box and have proper function.

Hopefully, some of the good smiths on this site will have info. on tweeking the magazine length.

I'm interested.

Kevin

Posts: 412 | Location: The Republic Of Texas, USA | Registered: 28 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply, Kevin. This is a re-barrel, not a factory original in.204, if that's what you were thinking. It was formerly a custom .17-223 and never had any isuues with the magazine length in that cartirdge. I guess the first thing to do would be to seat the bullets as deep as necessary to make it feed and go real worry as it shoots about 5/8 MOA right now.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote