THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    ButchLamberts latest project. Pierce Remington clone in 6.5X47L.

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ButchLamberts latest project. Pierce Remington clone in 6.5X47L.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted
I'm posting these for Butch. It's the begining of a very interesting rifle. It's beyond my paygrade so I'm just going to post the picture and glue & paste the email. I love the scope bases!

Terry

Butch:
"These are some photos of my Pierce Remington clone. I chambered it in 6.5X47L. It is a new Lapua round. I built the mounts and recoil lug. James Anderson did an excellent job making the Lilja 1.35 barrel an octagon. I forgot what 3 pos safety that I put on. I need to make the iron sights and it will be back to James for stocking and rust blue. The receiver is CM as is everything except the bolt handle. I will probably ditch the bolt for something more appealing.

Regards Butch"

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Nice action, for my taste the bolt is girly looking. Stiller does the same thing on his predators. McBros and Nesika make nice manly looking actions though.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting the pics Terry. I'm doing what I can to get rid of the Rem. look and still take advantages of the good parts. No CRF, but I am not worried that a deer or hog will climb into the blind with me. The sights will be a challenge as I want to do something unique and still be tasteful. I hope all of my taste is not in my mouth. I have one stock blank from Roger Vardy left. David Christman likes it better than the one on my just completed Mexican. That would be nice.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Yea, put one of those Half Moon rifleshop Orberndorf handles on and it'll be safely in "he-man" territory. rotflmo

I really like the concept. A classic rifle that shoots in the teens! Very cool.

Terry

One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Butch, sure would like to see the whole barrel...
That will look nice, once it gets stocked and all!

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
The recoil lug should have been weld chamfered.
That way its welded flush instead of a turd weld.
Timan

Posts: 1214 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Timan,
I guess that I'll take that as constructive critisism. Remember that most of us are part of The Great Unwashed! We marvel at the beautiful rifles that are shown on these pages. Some of us can afford 1 or more, but some of us have to try to do something on our own. We know that we are not in your class as an artist, but we do get a little self satisfaction doing something ourselves. Guess what! I like what I see and hope nobody will take it out of the stock and jump me about it.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not certain how many here are acquainted with the 6.5x47L, but it's a superlatively accurate chambering.

Last Sunday in our club match I shot a five shot 1.806" group at 600 yards.

And got beat by another 6.5x47L that grouped to 1.5xx".

Nice choice, Butch.

flaco

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Flaco,
I made an octagon barrel band front ramp sight this past weekend. I think that it will look fine. I tried to email photos to Terry and ForrestB for critisism and my server will not let me send attachments. I have a computer guy coming out tomorrow. We have had nothing but trouble with our Satellite server, but no cable or cell modem works in our rural area.
I ordered a CM bolt from John Pierce and will tig weld it on. It will be cut off and another handle will be welded on the root. The Pierce bolt uses an unusual CNC primary extraction cam that is completely different than anything that I have found. I will get photos of progress when I can.
I believe that 130 Barnes TSX at 2950FPS will be an excellent Texas deer and Hog cartridge. The cartridge is very efficient and low recoil. It is basically a .150 short 260.
Butch

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Now how cool is this?

I love it.

Terry

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
A few of it being made.

Terry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks again Terry,
That was my first try and the one I will use will be built this weekend. To keep it from looking too heavy on the end, the band part will be .020 thick after we wire EDM the octagon out of the inside. That will also thin out the rib on top of the barrel. I will use a new endmill this weekend to keep the hand work to a minimum.
Do you think that it looks ok or is it too bulky?
Butch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful work Butch!!
I groove that a whole lot...

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Butch, looked at it again this morning...Looks really cool.

Jim

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5506 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
Butch
You can rough out the outside, get it wired and installed and then finish mill it to thickness while on the barrel. .020" might be a little fragile to work with.

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1852 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
James,
That is a thought that had run through my mind. The NECG banded sights that I have are about .030. I made a brass insert to go into the muzzle with a center to fit the tailstock in either my lathe or mill fixture. Don't want to mess up your nice crown job.
Butch

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Timan,
I guess that I'll take that as constructive critisism. Remember that most of us are part of The Great Unwashed! We marvel at the beautiful rifles that are shown on these pages. Some of us can afford 1 or more, but some of us have to try to do something on our own. We know that we are not in your class as an artist, but we do get a little self satisfaction doing something ourselves. Guess what! I like what I see and hope nobody will take it out of the stock and jump me about it.
Butch

Butch may be part of the Great Unwashed but I happen to know back in time he was raised to a very high degree.

Craftsman

Posts: 1540 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Looking good Butch!

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote