THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    is "Devcon" epoxy suitable to skim-bed hs precision stock?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

is "Devcon" epoxy suitable to skim-bed hs precision stock?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I went looking for marine tex this morning at my local home depot. All I could find was some Devcon epoxy. I bought the "high strength"(2500 psi) stuff, because I thought it would work ok. Anybody use this stuff to skim bed an HS Precision stock? Or any other for that matter. I would feel better knowing others have had good luck withthis particular "goo". Thanks

Posts: 94 | Location: Tri-Cities, WA | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
I use the Devcon Aluminum, with excellent results. Don't know about the version without the filler, but I would be willing to take a risk on it. JMO, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
<Dan in Wa>
posted
High local buddy.
That's what my bench rest buddies use to bed their rifles. For what it's worth. And these guys are good.

Dan

one of us
posted Hide Post
well, its done. Tonight I masked the stock, stuck some clay in a few choice spots, mixed up some Devcon epoxy for steel(also used some all-purpose stuff in front of recoil lug) and bedded that bad boy. First thing tomorrow I'll try and break it loose. Oh yeh, I put some release agent(from Brownell's acgraglass kit) on the barreled action too. I bought some 1/4x28x3" bolts and cut the hex head off to align the action, then wrapped the bolts w/ electrical tape to center them in the holes.
Hopefully, this will make it shoot better. Last weekend, I took it out to test some handloads. let me fill you in- I rebarreled my Rem 700 VSSF 220 swift to a 6-284 Win w/ 30"1-8 twist Lilja barrel (1.25"). During load testing I had one group I thought was very promising-a 5-shot 3/4" group @200 yards w 107 gr Sierra MK. his was with new 284 brass that I'd necked down and turned the necks. Runout was between .004 and .007- not too good. After fireforming, i expected groups to decrease in size as runout had dropped to .001. However group sizes didn't get better- sometimes even worse. Maybe two shots were together(touching) and several more were away( one high one low). I thought maybe a skim bed job was in order. This combo really should shoot 1-1.5 " @ 500 yards. Scope is a 12-42 NF benchrest. I'll keep you posted. This was my first bedding job, so I'm not real confident i can break her loose tomorrow.

Posts: 94 | Location: Tri-Cities, WA | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote