THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lenghtening & straightening CZ 550 bolt.
 Login/Join

posted
Dear Members
I want to straighten and lenghten a CZ 550 bolt handle. Ive got replacement bolt handles, need to cut and weld these onto the original bolt handle. I am in Zambia and dont have access to a gunsmith who has a heat sink for this bolt. Please can you advice how i can proceed without a heat sink if possible, or where can i get one. Can a machinist turn a copper rod and make one. What else can one use to replace heat absorbing paste. Thanx in advance

Posts: 19 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 23 February 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have found powdered limestone to be a great heat protection, put inside and around the bolt when welding.

One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
I turn them on the lathe out of 1018 or some other buzzard grade of steel suitable for high pressure hand railing or high performance pig fences. Then I wrap the bolt body with toilet paper, wet and weld. I re-wet the toilet paper every 5 minutes or so. The color seldom moves more than 1/2 inch up the body.

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks daune. As always a great help. The welding will be in distal third of the bolt. Will just filling the bolt cavity with heat control paste and applying the same on surface be enough to prevent softening of the rear recoil lug and prevent scaling of the threads.

Posts: 19 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 23 February 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just hold the darn thing in the vice and do the job. The bolt won't get hot enough to do any harm unless you put the torch on it and go for coffee.
I have a set of aluminum (aluminium for our British friends)jaws with a "U" milled in them just for holding bolts. The aluminum is an effective heat sink and it is unlikely that even the cocking cam with get hot enough to soften any.
Once you are finished welding, just run water over the bolt body, near the handle, to cool it down.
Holding the bolt in aluminum jaws like this, I have welded handles with oxy-acetylene with no significant issues except for annealing the cocking cam. This is easily re-hardened anyway. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3570 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote