Find
Notify
Tools

How big Can I go
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Greetings,

I am fixin' to purchase a Siamese Mauser barreled action and stock. Currently Chambered 45-70. If I get tired of this caliber how big can I go on this barrel? How big can I go on this action? What kind of pressure will this action contain?
Andy

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
You will be restricted by the magazine length and the fact that it is raked forward for rimmed cartridges. The .45-70 can be loaded to hellacious velocities in the Siamese. These actions were made by the Japenese for the Thai (Siam) government and, like the pre and early WWII Arisaka's, were made of good steel and carefully heat treated. Much better than the Germam/Czech/etc. military Mausers that were made of low carbon steel (read; ersatz beer cans) and are quite soft. I love my European made Mausers but, have them properly heat treated and that, in most cases mean carburizing because they don't have enough carbon in them to take a straight quench and draw.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote