Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Unusual surface rust on new Winchester
 Login/Join

posted
What are you wiping the barrel down with? Could you just be seeing the oil/protectant on the patch?

Try degreasing the barrel first; when clean and dry, wipe the barrel down with a dry cloth to see if any 'rust' appears. If not, use a metal sealant/rust preventative on the exterior metal surfaces.

By the way, don't EVER send your gun in before the season.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I seem to recall a similar situation on other guns, I just keep wiping with Break Free CLP until the brown disappears.

Based on my recent experience with Winchester factory service on two .375 Model 70's, I would rather let a monkey work on the gun. Their work was pathetic beyond belief.

I'd recommend that you either just live with it, get them to replace it (unlikely, and would the next one be any better?), or send it to a good private gunsmith. Since Winchester has most of their warranty work done by private 'smiths located around the country, you could check their list and find out who does their work in your area. If he has a good reputation, send the gun to him.

But if it does not disfigure the gun, I'd just go hunting.

Posts: 153 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 07 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear about your gun, that�s why I only buy Stainless Steel guns when ever possible.

I sent a over and under 12ga back to the factory for repairs (both firing pins quit working) it was lost in the mail for about 2yrs when I finely got it back the barrel was rusted and the stock was warped.

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fritz Kraut
posted Hide Post
George,

it could be rests from the blueing bath at the factory. If the steel isn�t properly put into hot water after having been in the blueing media, it will have some brown stain on the surface. Take some kerosene on a cloth and rub the stain away. I�m quite sure that you have as much stain at the outside uf the gun as in the barrel.

Fritz

Posts: 846 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jorge400
posted Hide Post
I recently purchased a new Winchester Mod. 70. Upon initial cleaning out of the box, I noticed that when I wiped down the barrel, the patch came away with a brown stain. I assumed that this was the factory coating since no rust was visible on the barrel. However, no mater how much I wipe down the barrel, the patch still collects this brown stain. This only comes from the exterior of the barrel. Not the bore, receiver or any other metal parts or surfaces.

I called Winchester and the gentleman I spoke with had never heard of this occurance and recomended sending the gun back to them and they would look at it. Which, I guess, means I have lost my gun for deer season.

Has anyone ever experienced this? Any suggestions?

Thanks,

George

Posts: 839 | Location: Greensboro, Georgia USA | Registered: 17 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jorge400
posted Hide Post
George,

Primarily, I have been using Remoil but have used various solvents to see if I can wipe the rust free. I will try what you have recommended and/or Break Free. It is very perplexing that a new gun would have this problem. Even more perplexing is that you can't see the rust except what is on the patch.

If anyone else has a suggestions or thoughts, please let me know.

George

Posts: 839 | Location: Greensboro, Georgia USA | Registered: 17 July 2004Reply With Quote