New
Find
Notify
Tools

Electoless Nickel finish?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
This question is for anyone with experience with electroless nickel plating. I have a rifle with a stainless barrel on a CM action. Is it possible to nickel plate the action without pulling the barrel? Pulling the barrel wouldn't be that big of a deal, but I'm just curious if it's possible, or simple to do if it is possible..

Posts: 529 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I haven't done any electroless nickeling for about fifteen years but, when we used to do it I seem to recall that it ended up being about 3/8 of a Mil thick. This may interfere with your tolerances on bolt lugs and ways. There are newer and better finishes available these days to match your bbl. to the finish of your action. Robar NP-3 is one and Teflon is another. And, by the way, I would not try to nickel the action with the bbl. attatched.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you didn't care about plating the inside of the action you should be able to mask the barrel and mask the inside of the action and just plate the outside of the action.If you want to plate the inside take it all apart.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Robar's NP-3 coating is superb....send it to them and let them tell you.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote