Find
Notify
Tools

Modifying a Bold trigger???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
OK Guys,

I have a Bold Mauser trigger with safety ... but need one without a safety. Any thoughts on immobilizing the safety plate in the "safety off" position and cutting off the thumb tab?

Was thinking I'd see if there's a place I can drill and tap for a small cap screw to block the plate and then red loctite it in.

I know triggers are cheap, but I just paid for a big wedding and the money is spoken for Wink

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Look at the trigger and ask yourslf, "what is holding the safety assembly in place?" then, remove those things that attach it. If I recall correctly, the trigger pivot pin is riveted in place. Dust off the dremel and whack the head off. Whack the head off of the upper pin as well. Toss the plate, spring and plunger. Replace the pivot pin with a piece of hardened drill rod.

One more thing, before you remove the pivot pin, remove the trigger spring and screw. But don't throw those away. You will need them after you fit a new pivot pin. Big Grin

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Westpac,

May try that, but first I drilled a #50 hole through the trigger body in the center of the front end of the guide loop for the plate. Then threaded it for a 2-56 socket head screw. The body of the trigger block is solid in this area. Upon installation the 3/8" socket head screw did center up in the plate's guide hole and went a few thousandths short of all the way through the trigger body. Blocks the plate movement for absolutely sure.

Will cut the plate and install the trigger.

(Helps to have weird stuff like 2-56 taps and SS socket head screws around from making folders.)

Mike

--------------

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
I regularly use 2-56 taps and screws to attach the floating connector to the trigger lever on the old Rem 700 "Walker" trigger. A person ain't lived 'till they have hand tapped a trigger lever for a 2-56 screw. Big Grin

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll bet!

This one was easy. Held the trigger block in the mill vise and popped a #50 in an Albrech chuck. Positioned it with the DRO, drilled the hole and then put a cone center in the chuck, dropped the table and used a tap wrench held tap to make the treads. Took longer to type it than do it.

Sometimes you're lucky.

Works fine so far. Will watch it until I can afford to replace the trigger with a Timney.

Would not do this on a DGR, but this one will never see use on anything more dangerous than piggies from a blind.

Mike

--------------

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
quote:
A person ain't lived 'till they have hand tapped a trigger lever for a 2-56 screw.

Nuttin like livin on da edge huh? Wink Does your ass pucker a little bit like mine does? lol!

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D Humbarger:
quote:
A person ain't lived 'till they have hand tapped a trigger lever for a 2-56 screw.

Nuttin like livin on da edge huh? Wink Does your ass pucker a little bit like mine does? lol!

Probably as much! Big Grin