New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dakota 76 action critiques?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am curious about what negative opinions folks might have about the design, function, and safety of the Dakota 76 action. I've read a great deal about them, and understand the reasoning involved in its design by Allen and Grisle. Except for the relatively high price, I've never heard a cross word about it, and I wonder why so many Top Drawer custom gunmakers choose Model 70's and boutique Mauser actions over the 76. I know customer preferences play huge a part, but I wonder what's not to like about the 76. I'm not planing on a 76 rifle. Just curious.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3292 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Things are changing, boutique Mausers have kind of taken over where the Dakota left off.

The Dakota isn't available with a double square bridge so you have to use some kind of other scope mount system beyond what is currently in vogue.

Don Allen did great things for the American custom gun industry, and people still use his guns. But, by the time you shiit $3500 for an action you might as well buy a boutique mauser.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I asked a gunsmith that question some time back. He explained that the Dakota action adds many refinements over other candidates for a build, but customers always have preferences for types of safeties, bolt releases, bolt handles, etc. So if you're going to do that much work and change that many components, might as well start with a $300 action than a $2,000 action.

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3292 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For a bit less $$$, you can spec it out exactly as you want.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote