New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rebarrelling Sako to a .416 Rem Mag???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a Sako Bolt action model LR1R in a .300 Winchester Magnum. My question is can I rebarrel this action to a .416 Rem Mag. (rim of both cartridges are the same .532)if so what barrel lenght would serve this caliber the best? I would like a 26" or 27". Want is your thought and/or opinions. Thanks

Scratch [Big Grin]

Posts: 48 | Location: Riverton Wyoming | Registered: 18 January 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Check the side of the action; if it is an AV, then the .416 will fit.

You may may need the ejection port enlarged, but I doubt it.

Sako did offer the AV in .416 Remington Magnum; Richard Powell, a member of this forum, has one.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
I have a Sako AV in 416 Rem and it ha a 24" barrel. Your L61R will handle the 416 with no modification. As far as barrel length, I would go with a 22"-24" barrel. With it's large expansion ratio, you don't need the extra inches - any velocity increase would be negligible.

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen

The only thing I see on the action is Model L61R, serial number and what looks like MV in that order. Will this also work thank you.

Scratch

Posts: 48 | Location: Riverton Wyoming | Registered: 18 January 2003Reply With Quote
<Buliwyf>
posted
My 416 Rigby's have 25 inch barrels. Since I like longer barrels the 26" or 27" is appealing to me. In fact, I would be tempted to have Sterling Davenport build me a 27" intergrated expansion chamber barrel.

It can always be cut down.

Buliwyf

one of us
posted Hide Post
I almost forgot what would something like this cost? And what is your favorite barrel make? I've had good look with Shilen as far as accuracy goes. However, I was looking at using a Douglas Supreme what your thought? Thanks

Scratch

<Buliwyf>
posted
I don't think you can make a mistake with any of the top barrel makers. The Douglas XX which I believe is the Supreme is an excellent barrel with a competitive price.