Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Loc-Tite Talley Rings
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Wow, three days and not one opinion.

Because I don't envision removal of this particular scope from these rings, except in the event of failure and return to the factory, I'm leaning toward the extra insurance of Loc-titing the screws into the rings and leave the attachment screw to the base as the only "free" attachment.

Reed

Posts: 649 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 29 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have Talleys on 6 rifles and I don't believe they need any loc-tite. When I clean my rifle I usually will check the screws, but I have never had one shoot loose.
Shayne

Posts: 127 | Location: yuma, AZ | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I have Talleys on 6 rifles and I don't believe they need any loc-tite. When I clean my rifle I usually will check the screws, but I have never had one shoot loose.
Shayne

What caliber are you shooting?

Posts: 255 | Location: Wurtsboro,NY.USA | Registered: 11 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Reed I've got Talleys on a .375 RUM Model 70 s/s. The recoil is pretty stiff on these so I have used the Blue lock tite (243 I think) on it. But I have only applied to the base screws & to the base itself.

I have not used loctitie in my other rifles up to .338 & seems OK. My friend has it on .375 H&H & has not had any problems but probably fired no more that 50 shots so far.

I personally have not put it on the actual ring screws as I didn't want any trouble in removing a scope. Good foresight on my part in this case cause the scope a Leupold 1.75 - 6 failed after 15 rounds.

When I removed the scope mount bases to put on the Loctite I found that it seems the front bases & ring take more of the recoil load than the rear. The receiver under the front base was marked but the rears not. This is my reasoning only - don't know if it is right scientifically. Could also be that the front bases don't match the receiver as well as the rears. Anyway I have put a good amount of the blue loctite under the front base & just a little on each base screw.

Looked up on Loctite web site & the blue 243 is oil resistant whilst the red 222 does not state that its oil resistant.

Regards
JohnT

Posts: 370 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JohnT,

If you have too much slop in that front base then you may need to consider something other than Loc-tite as I believe it's very effective as long as the tolerances are under about 2/1000 inches. Although I guess it wouldn't hurt anything either.

At one point I thought this wasn't even worth discussing but I read recently where repetitive Loc-tite can "gum" up threads if they're removed repetitively.

Like I said, it's probably overkill.

Thanks much,

Reed

Posts: 649 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 29 August 2001Reply With Quote