Find
Notify
Tools

Mil-Dot newbie question...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of FlyingAce
posted
Kept instead of curiosity, does the distance between each mil-dot change dependent upon what power the scope is on? For example, if the distance between each mil-dot is 3.44 inches at 10x, will that mean that at 20x the distance is 6.88 inches. I am more or less using my scope for holdover points instead of ranging. I have a Nikon for that...

Thanks

Jim Mace

For all things WSSM...
http://wssmzone.com

Some told me, "Jim, sorry, you just can't...". To those I reply, "Watch Me..."

Posts: 84 | Location: Spokane, Washington | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It depends on which focal plane your Mil-Dot reticle is in. You need to look at the instructions with your scope to see what specific magnification your Mil's work if it is the the fixed reticle size focal plane........DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Flying Ace,

An easy way to check to see if you have a 1st or 2nd focal plane mil dot reticle is to look at any object through the scope and see if the size of that object (in mils) changes when you change the power of the scope. If it does, then you have a 2nd plane reticle and it will only measure in mils accurately at one of the power settings. On most higher power variables this will be at 10x.

On a 1st plane mil dot reticle the size of the reticle will change as the magnification changes, but the size of the target (in mils) will not.

A mil, which is the distance between the center of one dot and the center of the adjacent dot on the reticle, is roughly equal to one unit of a thousand units. One yard at a thousand yards...one meter at a thousand meters...or one inch at a thousand inches.

Not all mil dot reticles are created equal...and that fact should be kept in mind when using them for precise aiming and ranging.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote