THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barnes bullets in Lothar barrels: accurate?
 Login/Join

<Jordan>
posted
Gentlemen:

As I think most of us will agree, Barnes monolithic bullets are somewhat temperamental in the accuracy department. It seems accuracy varies quite a bit with this bullet, from barrel to barrel. Has anyone shot them in a Lothar-Walter barrel? What can you tell me about their accuracy in that barrel?

Thanks,

Jordan

one of us
posted Hide Post
Can't help with your specific question but I have tried the X in factory barrels from all of the majors, custom barrels from Pac-Nor and Shilen and two rebores from Cliff Labounty. Out of probably 10 different calibers tried from 250 AI through 375 H&H (oh yeah even tried the X in my 45-70 Ruger #1 as well) none have grouped worth a hoot until I tried the 250 gr X in my FN 9.3x62. It is a sub 2" 200 yard shooter that I will give a try beginning Tuesday in South Africa. For me, the X is a matter of the flip of the coin. I have asked myself on more than one occasion why I keep trying the X...

Posts: 354 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jordan,

I get my 300gr .375 Barnes X loads into 1 MOA from a 23" Heavy Magnum Sporter Profile LW barrel on my 375 H&H Mauser.

Cheers

pete

Posts: 541 | Location: Mokopane, Limpopo Province, South Africa | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote