New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone make thier own gun oil?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Not sure where to post this. Just wondering if any of you guys made your own gun oil solutions, or bore cleaners or anything? I've got about a half gallon of general purpose gun oil mixed up right now.

Posts: 510 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: 27 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I do not make my own, and I do not think that it is really feasible to produce a quality porduct for what major manufacturers can make it for.
However, as a gunsmith, I have seen my fair share of snake-oils and wonder-cleaners.
If there is one particular oil that I would say works best and lasts a long time, it would have to be G96 Synthetic Gun Oil.
It is not just me who likes it either, the FBI, Royal Canadian Mounted Police, and the NSA (I think NSA, maybe another federal agency) all use it and stand by it 100%.
If you would like to know more about it, feel free to contact me by email:
ShopCartRacing@aol.com

one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
I have a friend who makes his own gun oil to finish stocks with. Very nice stuff, looks like tabasco sauce, but once applied to a stock, it turns it a nice dark red. Sure made an old Remington 22 look nice. Not the same as a cleaner, but it's home made.
Sevens

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
I made up a batch of Ed's Red and it seems to be working just fine.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think he was referring to oil that you apply to moving parts, not oil to refinish stocks with.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of the best "gun oils" I have found is plain old ATF (auto trans fluid). The vicosity is perfect, it's highly refined, and it contains detergent additives. It doesn't gum up or turn to varnish after time like some oils do. It's inexpensive and you can buy it in the gocery store. And, as Lar45 mentioned, Ed's Red is good also.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Trans fluid, it works great been using it for years. I Also mix Transmission fluid/STP/Reslon(SP)top cly lub from auto parts store. Seems to work for me.

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Count me also as an ATF user. I mix it with a little mineral spirits (paint thinner) to thin it though. Usually about 10% or so works pretty well. Another thing to do is squirt some on a piece of cloth then store it in a 35mm can, handy way to carry something to wipe down a gun with.

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
I followed the Ed's Red recipie and it said that you could take out a small portion with part of the ingredients to save as oil. That way it's compatible with the solvent.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like to use Mobile #1, 0-W-30 Synthetic Motor oil for lubrication and rust protection (especially during storage). It does not "get thick" or "tacky", it works in very cold weather, it is water resistant, it does not dry out (very fast). and it costs about $4 per quart. A quart last a LONG TIME.

Posts: 33 | Location: United States | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use "Ed's Red" for cleaning and ATF for lubin.

But I sure would like to hear more about the stuff that Sevens was talking about
Quote:

"I have a friend who makes his own gun oil to finish stocks with. Very nice stuff, looks like tabasco sauce, but once applied to a stock, it turns it a nice dark red."

Posts: 85 | Location: Tex | Registered: 29 January 2002Reply With Quote