Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

sandblasting action
 Login/Join

posted
Just a question concerning sandblasting of the action. I intend on parkerizing a barreled action. I plan to plug the muzzle and the chamber end. However, I'm concerned about the lug recesses. I don't want to screw up these surfaces. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Regards,

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Just clean everything thoroughly when you are finished. Unless you stick the nozzle of the gun in there you won't hurt anything. You can wad up a piece of paper towel and shove it in there but I think you are better off just putting more thought into your movements when you are doing the sandblasting.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7764 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't think you ought to sand blast. If anything, use aluminum oxide of the appropriate grit size.

one of us
Picture of aktoklat
posted Hide Post
You might want to consider Bead Blasting as an alternative!

Focus on the leading edge!

Posts: 453 | Location: Louisiana by way of Alaska | Registered: 02 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of brianbo
posted Hide Post
I read somewhere recently that you should use glass bead media when blasting the surface of an action & barrel. The glass bead actually peens and work hardens the surface where sand cuts or abrades the surface making it more prone to rust and surface pitting.

Regards,
Brian

Meet "Beauty" - 66 cal., 417 grn patched roundball over 170 grns FFg = ~1950 fps of pure fun!

"Scotch Whisky is made from barley and the morning dew on angel's nipples." - Warren Ellis

NRA Life Member

Posts: 479 | Location: Western Washington State | Registered: 10 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Use beads. And I would tape off the action so you are not blasting the rails, feed ramp, etc.

Posts: 210 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: 20 February 2003Reply With Quote