New
Find
Notify
Tools

404 Jeff/9.3x70 Switch Barrel
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Do I use a CF Win Model 70, or a Czech model 1924?

The Model 70 route would have the action scrupulously straightened and ground, and would likely have a top end synthetic stock, Cerrakote and Microslick coatings, etc.

The Mauser action would be just as scrupulously worked over, but would feature a nicely carved stock, rust bluing, et al.

Either one would be a pure hunting rifle.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For a takedown, the threads are a little too fine on the M-70..you also have the extractor slot..gets in the way if you forget to open and withdraw the bolt before trying to change barrels.

Hartmann and Weiss actually use acme threads on takedowns, but the coarse threads of the Mauser do pretty well.

A synthetic stock is pretty well out of the question on a "one off"

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oh for gosh sakes.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help Duane.

I'll pick out my best receiver and start saving up.

Vigillinus,

The next project after this one will likely be a 6.5x68/8x68 on a Sako action.

My 9.3x64 really could take care of all my hunting needs, but if I don't slowly save for rifle projects, I might start taking up golf.

LD

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lawndart:

My 9.3x64 really could take care of all my hunting needs, but if I don't slowly save for rifle projects, I might start taking up golf.

LD

Lawndart - You DO know that when I am elected God and create my own theocratic state (like that "O" fella), no one convicted of golf or skiing will be allowed to either vote or hold office, don't you?

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe:
For a takedown, the threads are a little too fine on the M-70..
..Hartmann and Weiss actually use acme threads on takedowns, but the coarse threads of the Mauser do pretty well.

Ive played with an M70 Factory takedown, I was not impressed.
IIRC, Hartmann & Weiss use an square thread, at least thats what I recall Otto Weiss telling me face to face. I particlarly remember the conversation, because I asked Otto why he uses Acme on his t/d MagMausers, he quickly corrected me by saying it was not Acme, but rather a square thread form, that he said is rather challenging to cut(ie; to produce close fit between barrel & receiver for t/d application). On close personal inspection I found it to be a square thread form.
Ralf Martini/Hagn, use a somewhat modified square thread form, at least thats what I recall inspecting and Ralf telling me.

Square thread.

Other Thread Forms

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Are you guys saying the thread is like a 1903 Springfield or Savage 99? Return to the future !!

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote