Find
Notify
Tools

30-06 to 9.3x62
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Stryker225
posted
I posted this in the medium bore section and was advised to post here also.

I have a winchester m70 featherweight.

I'm thinking a different barrel with open sights like these:

What's involved to turn it into an extremely reliable & light, sorta DGR?

Just some action/feeding work? I haven't read many reliability compliants about the model 70's trigger or safety.

I'll likely get a synthetic stock for it too. Straightening the bolt a good idea?

Any recommended smiths? (PM me if you don't want to say it here)

Please advise!

Posts: 1282 | Location: here | Registered: 26 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It should not need any action work. New barrel and sights only. I would not straighten the bolt handle. I did a similar conversion and did replace the bolt handle with an uncheckered Talley handle.

Posts: 550 | Location: Augusta,GA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Own a Ruger that was rebarreled from 30 06 to 9,3x62 and it feeds perfectly without any changes.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Stryker225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrfudd:
It should not need any action work. New barrel and sights only. I would not straighten the bolt handle. I did a similar conversion and did replace the bolt handle with an uncheckered Talley handle.

I will probably replace the bolt handle with something straight and non checkered too.

Posts: 1282 | Location: here | Registered: 26 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lose the four leaf sight.

NECG carries a recknagel sight that has one leaf rear sight that is adjustable. It works very well.

I have a Sako that has 9.3x66, 30-06 and 9.3x62 barrels (so far). Works fine.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote