New
Find
Notify
Tools

Milling machine
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have an 89 year old gunsmith friend that wants to part with a couple of extra machines he Doesn’t use.

1) A Rockford Hedwick M100 vintage vertical milling machine about 6’ tall and approximateley 54” wide and deep. Roughly 2,000 lb.’s. Very stout and comes with a large flat vise. Owned for more than 30 years and could be much older.

2) Lathe by Grizzly G4003 with table. Has about 10 hours of use and about 12 years old.p

Any ideas on finding a fair value and best way to find a home for them. Hopefully an aspiring gunsmith or machinist would see it.
Located in the San Diego area.

Thank you
Charles

Posts: 1023 | Location: Brooksville, FL. | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Rockford Hedwick M100

Machine price is a function of location. If you live in a used machine desert you can get far more than an area that had an industrial base.

Tooling that goes with the machine is just as important as the machine.

That mill is long obsolete (made in the 60s) and now somewhat rare machine. Reasonably well built. Parts would be hard/impossible to come by.

All functioning, $1000. More with tooling, maybe $1500-$2000.
Not functioning, clapped out, scrap weight.

Wow, 10 hrs of use in 12 years!
Someone really didn't need a lathe.

New $3800,,,$2500, maybe?

I actually think used machinery prices are declining, especially in urban areas because people don't have the space for home shops and Much of the younger generations have no interest.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
The rule is; the bigger they are the cheaper they are. RIA sold off tons of old machinery a few years ago at auction. Some big enough to turn a howitzer barrel and machine a tank race ring. And some tool room machines. The big stuff sold for scrap iron value. The little stuff went for real money.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Recently a friend emailed me from the Bay Area in CA if I wanted a free mill.

Seems an old guy was moving into a retirement community, and had a 60s-70s asian Bridgeport clone. I can't remember the brand.

Advertised it on CL for $1500 with a vise and some tooling for a few cycles. No one even came to look at it.

It had to go so he just gave it away, too far for me to take it and I don't need another mill.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I appreciate all your input,thank you.

Posts: 1023 | Location: Brooksville, FL. | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is a used machinery place in Irwindale, probably more of them in San Diego but I wouldn't know where to look.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14596 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I always thought the little Grizzly 4003G was a toy. I bought one for a good friend for $1500 and after he got it and set up I did a couple chambers and other work on it and came away impressed.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
I always thought the little Grizzly 4003G was a toy. I bought one for a good friend for $1500 and after he got it and set up I did a couple chambers and other work on it and came away impressed.

That was a good price

New they are $4k

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote