Find
Notify
Tools

crash course in gunsmithing terminology
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
G'day to you all.

I'd like some clearing up of terms that describe procedures I feel I should know more about.

Things like "blueprinting" an action and other such things that I hear from time to time but don't really know what they entail.

And how can you measure how square a bolt face is?

Trued?

Anything else anyone would like to take the time to explain I would be grateful to understand.

Thanks to all.

Posts: 2286 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Blueprinting and trued will mean the same. If you have used the term to describe an auto engine made ready for more horsepower and speed, the action that is trued or blueprinted has all the mating surfaces ( bolt, action bolt raceway, receiver threads, receiver face, etc) all amchined to be true, square, concentric and straight to a common axis, usually the bolt raceway in the receiver. The bolt face can be measured by setting up the bolt in a fixture, usually a lathe, and, with a dial indicator, measure the runout on the face. BE ADVISED, there are a number of different opinions on this and I am offering only mine.

Jim

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
By the way, can you get me a deal on some Parmigiano Reggiano?

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No worries Jim, if you want some I can buy it wholesale and send it over. You would be up for a fair bit in shipping but if you know and appreciate this stuff it's worth it.

Send me an e-mail if you're serious.

Posts: 2286 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote