Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sako Extractor!
 Login/Join

posted
Anyone hear of any problems installing a sako extractor in a remington magnum bolt?
I'm thinking about installing one in my 300 RUM.

one of us
posted Hide Post
After a factory extractor failed on one of my 700's,I had sako extractors installed on all of my 700's.There were no problems and all function perfectly.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
I have no more confidence in a sako-style extractor than a standard 700 extractor. I've got perhaps a dozen 721s, 722s and some 700s that have had 4 or more barrels on them and they are ALL still on their original extractor.

As far as I'm concerned, a 700 extractor is fine for a PF rifle. If you're really worried about it, sell the rifle and get a good CRF. That's the only (potentially) meaningful step up in reliability. JMO...

Good luck.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't really see why you would need it changed.

The Sako and Remington extractors each have their own merits.

I would actually give the nod to Remington because of their "3 rings of steel" one of which is the extractor, and the way it surrounds the entire case head.

-Spencer

One of Us
Picture of Old Elk Hunter
posted Hide Post
Ring one - the extended bolt face that encircles the back of the cartridge.

Ring two - the barrel itself.

Ring three - the action.

I have seen a Remington hold together with a max load of 2400 in a 22-250. Amazing. Welded
the cartidge to the bolt face and barrel.

Remington needs to do some more work on their extractor so that it doesn't fail. I have one rifle with a Sako extrator. I don't like the large cut that was necessary to make for the extractor. Come on Remington, give us a better extractor. Works 95% of the time, now cure the other 5%.

RELOAD - ITS FUN!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9.3x62:
I have no more confidence in a sako-style extractor than a standard 700 extractor. I've got perhaps a dozen 721s, 722s and some 700s that have had 4 or more barrels on them and they are ALL still on their original extractor.

As far as I'm concerned, a 700 extractor is fine for a PF rifle. If you're really worried about it, sell the rifle and get a good CRF. That's the only (potentially) meaningful step up in reliability. JMO...

Good luck.

Exactly my feelings also, sell the gun and buy a CRF for more reliable extraction.
bigbull

Posts: 401 | Location: CANADA | Registered: 06 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Extraction can be a "problem" with Sako extractors fit on 700 bolts. If the extractor is "set along side" the RH bolt lug the angle to extract an empty case is wrong... the case will generally go too high and hit your scope. If it's set where it "should" go for correct extrattion geometry (wow, holy technical batman) the RH lug will have to be undercut... not the best idea. I'd live with the M700 toenail extractor and have an extra in my pack.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I sure get tired of hearing about these magical "three rings of steel". Come on guys, it is marketing; it ain't rocket science. The problem on putting a Sako extractor arises when a magnum extractor is installed in the bolt. It is too wide and causes the angle of departure of the cartridge to hit the windage turret of the scope. You can remedy this by installing the 308 size in that bolt. That is still more positive than that springy thingy that Remington calls an extractor.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Kobe:
I sure get tired of hearing about these magical "three rings of steel". Come on guys, it is marketing; it ain't rocket science. The problem on putting a Sako extractor arises when a magnum extractor is installed in the bolt. It is too wide and causes the angle of departure of the cartridge to hit the windage turret of the scope. You can remedy this by installing the 308 size in that bolt. That is still more positive than that springy thingy that Remington calls an extractor.

You got that right, especially considering that the Remington is hanging somewhere between .130-.140" of case out the ass end of it's rings of steel, where is the Mauser for instance is down to .100" when set up properly.
If anything is gonna give......it's going to be the brass case first, not the barrel and heat treated receiver.

Williams Machine Works

Posts: 1021 | Location: Prineville, OR 97754 | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
in ackley's handbook for shooters and reloaders he deals w/ the "3 rings of steel" issue. took several action types and deliberately loaded to failue, w/ the action surrounded by white paper and comparing the scorch/powder marks/ etc. were all the same; is all marketing.

you can't get more efficient breeching than a flat faced mauser arrangement w/ nothing but the extractor groove and base sticking out of the chamber.

i had a 722 257 rob'ts and it's extractor quit working abt 2 rds of every 3.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Count me in as another who doesn't like that thing Remington calls an extractor. I've had too many problems with em'.

Posts: 407 | Location: Olive Branch, MS | Registered: 31 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ackley didn't test a Remington700 or 721. Instead he modified a Mauser to simulate his concept of safety breeching. The Remington system does work. When a severe overload causes the case to fail, the bolt nose expands and fills the barrel counterbore and seals it.Does the Remington design allow a lot of case protrusion? Yes it does. Is this a bad thing? It can be. There was a real problem with early 220 Russian brass used to form 6PPC. It was quite thin in the web and, if one was to get carried away when breaking the corner after chambering, the case could fail.
Sako extractors do pop out on occasion. This happens on modified 700s and on the Sakos themselves. The howa extractor doesn't seem to nor does the Weatherby. Both are a viable choice for replacement of the Remington extractor.
In the end, I'm happy enough with the Sako units that I use them for myself with no qualms.Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3765 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello,
If you have not noticed the extractor on the M16 bolt, take a look for it makes for a very good extractor on the Rem. bolt. Item is readily available and not costly to come by and it works. Truth of the matter, I have had no problems with the std. current version of the Rem. extractor. As for the path of the spent case, that is easily controlled by "adjusting" the spring pressure on the plunger ejector.
Favor Center!!
dsiteman

Posts: 1165 | Location: Banks of Kanawha, forks of Beaver Dam and Spring Creek | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote