THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Shortening 30-06 barrel for .308Win or .300 Savage

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shortening 30-06 barrel for .308Win or .300 Savage
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Have acquired some New Old Stock (30-06) barrels made for the FN 98 actions with Sq. Threads, 10 TPI.
Said that the idea was to utilize the readily available 1903 Springfield barrels available at the time. (These are not 1903 barresl)

Looked up the minor thread diameter of the 1903 square threads.

At .990" these barrels could be used on a small ring Mauser such as a 98 Turk.
The one 30-06 Turk I worked on was wee bit short for .30-06 and limited to short seated 165gr boolits.

Questions:

How much needs to be trimmed from the shank to rechamber from 30-06 to .308Win?

Or .300 Savage? Trim, light barrels that would work nicely on a 1910 Mexican Mauser action.

Need these numbers to see if enough chamber area of the barrel would remain, or if they need to end up on eBay.

Thank you for any help.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I'd say around .4" for the 308 and .46" for the 300 savage. That gets you to the neck shoulder junction so maybe a touch more to insure you clean it up.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
After looking at case dimensions I was 'guesstimating' that 1/2" should do it.

Have never set a barrel back for a different cartridge so looking for some experience to double check.

I appreciate the numbers. Thank you.