New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fajen bedding
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Short story is my vz24 is done. Chambered in the all to famous 9.3 x 62-yes another 9.3 due to our friends here in the AR.

Metals worked by Jim Kobe. Barrel from Sporters Exress.com, safety from Jim as well, Ken Corcoran done the finish work of welding on a purely simple Talley bolt knob, d&t for both NECG F/O front & NECG adj. rear, headspacing and parkerizing.

At the present moment and I know plastic is not favored but I put the barreled action in a Fajen stock. Soso appearance but will work till I gather more money but the barrel channel is definately oversized. I would like to mix up Marine-Tex and do the whole barrel channel-feasible? Don't seem from the design of the mold of the channel area that roughing up the plastic is possible-will my "stuff" work out?

One other thing, not at all use to Mausers but thanks to all the "praise" a Mauser gets here I know own 4 Mausers-2 actions and 2 whole rifles which includes this one but does the Pillars or whatever they are called common in Mauser actions. Seems that FN Higgins I have has 2 of them that rest between the action and trigger guard over the action screws. Does this stock require them?

Humbling learning as I go. Perhaps will set the barreled action in something better down the road, somthing tough - McMillan perhaps or Bordens.

As one mentioned these are probably good for hitting a homerun-batter up! Smiler I just suspect it should be okay for accuracies for the time being.

appreciate any help.

Posts: 1019 | Location: foothills of the Brooks Range | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The pillar you refer to under the rear tang is okay IF. Too often I have seen the pillar added but not bedded correctly. This results in the action rear tang and trigger guard being tightened against the pillar and and not haveing any bearing on the stock, in other words it is floating. To do this correctly, it must act like a pillar bedding and be glassed or attached to the stock in some way. You don't want the action floating in the bedding and this could result if not done correctly.

As for the barrel channel, I think the Marine-Tex might be a bit heavy; why not go with Bondo and just do the upper edge and the front around the barrel. It will need paint later anyway, right?

Jim

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
As for the barrel channel, I think the Marine-Tex might be a bit heavy; why not go with Bondo and just do the upper edge and the front around the barrel. It will need paint later anyway, right?

Jim thanks for taking the time. Bondo meaning " automotive stuff"? I don't use Brownells Accra but can get some in Fbks. from Sportsmans-last time I used bondo was on one of my 4x4's - teenage years and kegers.

Posts: 1019 | Location: foothills of the Brooks Range | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote