New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where has TupperWare Let YOU down?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Im glad quality aftermarket synthetic stocks exhist, but for folks who dont need extremely light stocks and are basically happy with factory geometry and weight, what great concern would they have with the performance of a factory Tupperware handle?
I suppose stiffness is something some look for, but I see factory plastic M70 rigs that shoot just fine.
Who has broken one? if so under what conditions/circumstances/treatment?

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I've got a couple of Factory Win stocks (plastic) and the rifles do shoot, so well that I've got no reason to change them. Yes they are tough I can't imagine what you would have to do to one to "break" it, seems nearly impossible to me. I'm not a big fan of plastic or synthetic but as a tool they work fine and my Winchester stocks actually seem to fit me very comfortably.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I find them too short, I shoot with over 15" LOP...

Posts: 363 | Location: Paris, France | Registered: 20 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
While I'v never broken one, I do have an issue with a synthetic Remington ADL stock on my 308. I need to bed it because it has my 5 shot group looking like two separate groups, one very nice 3 shot group (1/2") and a very nice 2 shot group (1/2"), but it is 3/4 of an inch away from the first. I checked everything else, read of others having the same issue, and decided I just need to bed this one.

That is the only issue I have ever had with factory plastic stocks. I have had to lap and bed HS-Precision stocks to get them to fit, but I don't consider them factory.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DC Roxby
posted Hide Post
I just restocked my Remington BDL. The stock was pressing unevenly on the forend causing strange groups. Groups are much improved with a new MacMillan stock. MacMillan stock is actually heavier than the factory stock, but that is not surprising given that the factory stock was a foam filled POS. Frowner

I don't shoot elk at 600 yards for the same reasons I don't shoot ducks on the water, or turkeys from their roosts. If this confuses you then you're not welcome in my hunting camp.

Posts: 566 | Location: Ouray, CO | Registered: 17 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodjack:
... what great concern would they have with the performance of a factory Tupperware handle?...

1. It eliminates using the old - my Termite Food Stock Totally Warped - excuse.
2. People for the Etical Treatment of Termites(PETT) get all upset because they do not provide a readily available food source for the Termites.
3. See at the bottom.
-----

I had some Great Concern about a rather "flexable" Black Synthetic(aka Plastic(aka Tuperware)) stock on a 243Win M7 I'd traded for. Pulled the action to give it the normal Out-of-the-Box, new-rifle, complete and thorough cleaning. Looked inside the stock to find "ZERO" Bedding Compound in the Recoil Lug Mortice. bewildered

Oh-oh! Obvious "Cost Reduction - Gone Wild" video could be made. Silent grumbling and bad words ensued. Went on and cleaned the rifle and noticed the Synthetic Stock seemed to get more flexable with each passing moment. Needed to do SOMETHING before it assumed the stiffness of a plastic fishing worm.

Liquid Corn(aka Bourbon) clarified the situation - shoot the rifle - Shoot the rifle!

Ah-ha..., Plan comes together. Stock back on the rifle just before I expected it to melt and run off into a puddle. Went to the Range. It shot GREAT!!!

Huuummm..., not supposed to do that. More shooting - more small groups. Two different guys(me and a buddy) fire 3-shots apiece at the same Target, the combined 2-man, 6-shot group is in the 6s. AMAZING!!!

Time passes, the rifle refuses to shoot Large Patterns. Stability is great from year to year. Obviously a fluke, so I swap for another M7 in 223Rem with the same kind of stock. Same-E-same - "Zero Bedding" in the Recoil Lug Mortice. It also shoots GREAT!!!

3. A person can get fat from eating all the FREE BBQ Suppers won with Synthetic Stocks - even the flexable ones.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just tighten the screw on $50 injection molded stock and look at the flex.

Undercut the inletting so epoxy can get a grip.
Glass it until it is stiff.
Now it is heavy as sin.

What does it all mean?
Pay the extra bucks and get a stock made with something that epoxy will stick to and is stiff, like Kevlar, fiber glass, laminated wood, or Walnut.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
So what is wrong with the flex?
Mine flex and still put out tiny groups. Big deal they are working!
I think most peoples aversion to these plastic stocks is exactly described by tnekkcc and I think it is just that an aversion. It's not like a wood stock it flexes this must be bad!
For me it is a handle on a tool!
I have a 9.3x62 with a pencil thin 20" barrel in a plastic stock that shoots 286 gr PRVI bullets under an inch and sometimes to .5". I have a factory Win M70 Classic stainless in 375 H&H in a factory plastic stock that shoots 300 gr Barnes triples into .5". I have a .338 Win Mag in a Win factory plastic that shoots under an inch all day and best group was 3 shots in .268" with factory Federal ammo, the list goes on and all these have the factory hot glue blob bedding and the stocks flex like crazy but you know what? they shoot excellent!

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
NEVER! Cause I use mine in the fridge and freezer. Sorry couldnt resist! sofa

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
plastic stocks are rather noisy in the brush.

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They let you down as soon as they come into view...

I'd rather get caught with Rosie O'Donnell than one of those abortions.
-----------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote