New
Find
Notify
Tools

Martini Action?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anybody here have experience in working a BSA 12/15?

The Martini actions are legendary, and it seems one could use the old stock as a pattern to have some nice wood cut to more fashionable proportions.

A small schnabel, for instance?

Rumor has it these can be converted to centerfire. I'm wondering how hard this would be.

This isn't high on my list of priorities, but it might make a nice future project.

flaco

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Model 12 which was converted to .22 Hornet which still uses the .22 LR barrel. I have seen others in .222 and .218 Bee. BTW, mine shoots great.
Pete

"Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live."

Posts: 403 | Location: Emeryville, CA | Registered: 24 July 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
George Peterson of "Treebone Carvong Co." in N.M. has a nice selection of well shaped patterns for the martini. Check out his web site for pictures. Ken

Ken Hurst
910-221-5288

Posts: 15 | Location: Robersonville, N.C. | Registered: 13 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a BSA barrled action I bought thirty years ago, it was a target rifle, has a "bull" Eric Johnson barrel stamped 1948 (or so). The 218 coversion was/is a popular one, as are the various 17's.

Ther's a gunsmith in Louisianna who manufactures them new, I believe, but my honesty needs checking on that.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2 | Location: far eastern CO plains | Registered: 16 January 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Search around here and Google for BSA Martini, Les Brooks, and Martini Cadet. Frank DeHaas addresses the conversion to CF in his "Gunsmithing Ideas Book" book. Also check Gunboards for Martini info. It's out there, but sometimes hard to find. Rimfire Central has some Martini stuff, too. The most prolific poster around is a guy named Doug Dickens, goes by DoubleD most places. Good luck, and be careful. They can become a disease!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I picked up my barreled action when I was twenty-five, the stock was in so-so repair and lacked a buttplate. Years before that I read an article in one on the gun rags that featured a BSA converted to 218 Bee; when I saw the action I bought, I bought it with the intention of some day having it converted to the same.

Question-

It's a .22 rimfire, barreled in 1948 as the straight taper barrel is stamped, the barrel has two scope blocks on it, no evidence of a front sight, nor does the action have any sign of ever having a rear sight on it.

What competition existed in it's era, for scoped-only .22 shooting?

The stock appeared to be an off hand style, but what do I know.

BTW, the trigger is excellent.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote