New
Find
Notify
Tools

Switch barrel Winchester 1895
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a 1928 Winchester 1895 takedown in .35 Winchester and would like to have a front end made for it in .405 Winchester. Is this feasible, anyone have anything similar and who would you recommend I contact to discuss the build?

Posts: 766 | Location: Tallahassee, FL | Registered: 11 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Most likely cost you as much as another in 405.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No doubt but it would be cool and look good in a fitted case. Might even add a Ruger 1/4 rib to the .405 and mount a scout scope on it

Posts: 766 | Location: Tallahassee, FL | Registered: 11 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Turnbull can do it. It won't be cheap but it will be done correctly. I have a 95 takedown in 30-06 and have thought of having a new front end in 35 whelen made up. Have not gotten around to it though.

Posts: 5717 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
For what it is worth, I have found my Miroku/Winchester .405 WCF TD to be an all-around big game/DG rifle;
It shoots .411 bullets from 210 grains to 400 grains accurately and the Williams peep sight is all I have needed.
It has taken water buff(300 grain NF), Cape Buff (400 Woodie), and a variety of plains game with authority.

It is also handy to carry and operate.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately Miroku chose the wrong barrel contour on their 405s; great rifles though.
I made it my mission to destroy all the 270s I could and make them into 405s.

Posts: 17292 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pacecars:
No doubt but it would be cool and look good in a fitted case. Might even add a Ruger 1/4 rib to the .405 and mount a scout scope on it

Gasp" Ruger quarter rib on a 95 is like serving Champagne in a coffee cup

Posts: 3633 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I saw one that someone had done and it looked pretty good

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
What DW said!

one of us
posted Hide Post
The 405 case head is fatter than the 35 by mile (.405 vs .543). That means the breech face/extractor setup won't work, and the mag will be too skinny. Among other things.

Adding a second barrel to a takedown lever action is not too hard if you start with a takedown and stick with the same parent ctg.

But it's not cheap mainly because the action extension has to be made from a bar of steel as Winchester does not sell them. That right there is $400. It takes some skill to time the barrel and the extension simultaneously so figure another $500 for the barrel. $200 for the forend. Another $100 for sights. It adds up pretty fast.

And yes, I have done this for a 94 takedown (32 and 25/35) as well as a 38-55. So been there done that.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
WWG did one for me. Came out very nice. $$$$ and time.

Started as a 405 TD, they added the 30/40 barrel. I still need higher front sight for the Lyman 21

Don't have a good pic.

Posts: 6491 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Nice looking rifle.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Ok, I have converted a lot of 95s both original and Browning of various calibers to .405. For the record, 270s, 30-06s, and 30-40s. Model 95s are a waste in those small calibers. Of course the bolt face needs opening up; we know how to do that. And all the magazines are the same, so the width of the cartridges doesn't matter. The lips do need tweaking.
And yes, making the TD extension costs money.
I have also converted 94s to TD in several calibers; including .405 2.2 inch, which I call the .405 Teddy. Get close ballistics to the real 405 WCF; have to back off when the lever opens itself!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ Gould:
The 405 case head is fatter than the 35 by mile (.405 vs .543). That means the breech face/extractor setup won't work, and the mag will be too skinny. Among other things.

Adding a second barrel to a takedown lever action is not too hard if you start with a takedown and stick with the same parent ctg.

But it's not cheap mainly because the action extension has to be made from a bar of steel as Winchester does not sell them. That right there is $400. It takes some skill to time the barrel and the extension simultaneously so figure another $500 for the barrel. $200 for the forend. Another $100 for sights. It adds up pretty fast.

And yes, I have done this for a 94 takedown (32 and 25/35) as well as a 38-55. So been there done that.

I believe you are looking at the .35 Win Self Loading that has a .405 Rim. The .405 is a .35 Win blown out straight basically

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It would definitely be an expensive project so for now I am going to pass on it. Obviously buying another rifle in .405 would be much cheaper even if I had to buy a .270 or .30-06 and rebarrel it with a proper barrel. Too many other projects in the works. Thank you all for your information and advise.