Find
Notify
Tools

I have Glock problems
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted
Just started shooting a Glock 23 in 40 S&W. Love the gun, but I have barrel problems. I have an out of round chamber that is bulging cases .008. Factory ammo and reloads are the same. I am getting 3 inch 5 shot groups at 25 yds., but at 50 the group opens to about 13 inches. These groups are fired off of a rest.

Are these problems endemic to the Glocks in general, or do I have the odd one?

I posted this thread on the pistols forum as well.

Posts: 1634 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dSmith.45
posted Hide Post
Roger, the small frame glocks in .40 and .357 Sig do not give a whole lot of support to the web of the case. A Bulge in teh brass at the six o'clock position is fairly common. I even had some case bulge in the web area with my G20, 10mm. IF the whole case is oval in shape send that gun back to Georgia for a new barrel. If the problem is just in the web of the case I would suggest an aftermarket barrel. I use a KKM brand barrel most of the time in my pistol. It has greater support in the case web. It is also of ballard type rifleing instead of polygonal (sp?)so I can shoot lead reloads.

Here's a good thread over at glocktalk on the subject:

http://glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=231867

hope this helps!

Posts: 359 | Location: 33N36'47", 96W24'48" | Registered: 01 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dSmith.45
posted Hide Post
hope this works ( crosses fingers )

Here's a pic showing a case in the barrel of 40 , .357 and 9mm. Note the different levels of support provided to the case web

http://glocktalk.com/attachment.php?s=&postid=2420528

won;t let me link the picture, just click on the link

Here's the thread that goes with the picture

http://glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=231698

Posts: 359 | Location: 33N36'47", 96W24'48" | Registered: 01 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try this forum for lots of Glock info. http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/gindex2.html

There is lots of other Glock related stuff on the web also.

Your bulged brass is caused by over ramping of the barrel IMO, which leaves the brass unsupported. Reloading can weaken the brass, possibly causing a blowout. Aftermarket barrels with better brass support are a good idea, especially for using lead bullets, which can cause problems in stock Glock barrels. Good luck. Joe

Posts: 58 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 23 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help guys.

Looking at the photos of the chambered cases pretty well explains the problem. I don't believe it is the ramp portion of the barrel that is the problem. The ramp doesn't extent past the solid part of the case. Look at how loose the 40 case is in the chamber. That's the problem.

dSmith45:

How does your Glock shoot since the aftermarket barrel.
Is it more accurate?
Are the cases still jugged out?
Most importantly, does it funcion reliably with the after market barrel.

Posts: 1634 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dSmith.45
posted Hide Post
The oversized chamber is "standard" and is done in the name of reliability so as far as Glock is concerned there is nothing "wrong" with the gun.

THe KKM barrel was drop in fit. I never benched the pistol with the factory barrel but the KKM will give me 2" groups and 25 yards with Wincheser SilverTips and a little less with Corbon 180 grain softpoints. About the only time I use the factory barrel anymore is when I go to GSSF matches. Never had a stovepipe or a falure to feed or eject with either barrel.
The KKM does support the web better than the factory barrel which is most important to me as I use max and near max loads for hunting with it.

Here's a picture of the pistol. IF I get time today I ake a pic of he KKM versus the factory barrel showing case support.

one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
Quote:

The KKM does support the web better than the factory barrel which is most important to me as I use max and near max loads for hunting with it.

So you are using reloads?

Is the brass still over expanding since you are using the KKM barrel.

The reason I am being such a pest is, I like the pistol for a carry weapon. However, I want to be able to shoot reloads. I will keep the pistol and order a KKM if the KKM barrel doesn't jug the cases.

one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
Some other aftermarket barrels to look at are H-S Precision and Bar-Sto. Both have good reputations, but I have no personal experience with either. I use the factory barrel in mine, and am nearing the 10000 mark on reloads through it without a problem. A friend runs coated lead through her (yes, HER, she shoots competively) factory Glocks and she is well pleased. Keep the reloads mild and expect short brass life, otherwise they do fine. I have pushed the envelope with 5 reloads of factory fired brass without any type of failure, but that is as far as I am willing to push it.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dSmith.45
posted Hide Post
Roger, my reloads are upper mid range, 180 grain lead .

What I hunt with is Corbon 180 grain bonded softpoints @ 1320 fps for 969 ft/lbs of energy. It's a pretty smoking load for a duty size autoloader. I do not get case bulge with this ammo in the aftermarket barrel. I've never fired them in the factory barrel so I can't tell you what the brass looks like after. I have fired plenty of Winchester Silvertips 175 gr @ 1290 fps in both barrels and a noticable bulge is present in the Glock barrel and none in the KKM barrel. I would like to note 10mm brass is signifigantly thicker in the web of the case than .40 S&W brass is even though they are the same bore size so how the .40 responds I can't tell you.

In this picture the Glock factory barrel is on the left, KKM on the right

AS CDH noted thare are quite a few aftermarket barrels available KKM & Jarvis are quite popular as they are drop in fit units. The two mentioned by CDH may requre some fitting

<allen day>
posted
I have found the best way to fix any Glock is to trade it in on a Sig or else a good 1911........

But seriously, if I owned your pistol, I would certainly contact Glock about a new barrel, and they should replace it on warranty -- likely at no charge to you

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
As a person who has completed the Glock armorer's school I my have some instites. First if your pistol functions with factory ammo Glock will say it is fine. They warn you against using lead bullets or reloads. Reloading is not on Glock's radar screen. They do not endorse ANY after market parts. They do not endorse any gunsmithing. Only factory orignial parts and factroy new jacketed bullets are sanctioned.

I have a '17. I don't bother with reloading. I just stuff it full of what ever ammo is cheap and bang away. It works 100%. It has never given me even a single malfunction in thousands of rounds.

If I wanted to gunsmith something I would get a M-1911. If I was into handloading I would prefer a revolver.

"Trouble" with the Glock is that it is designed to be an ultra reliable military or police weapon. It is not a target pistol or a "tinker toy" gun. I keep mine ready for action at home. If I ever need it I know it will function and it will be accurate enough to take care of business. Glock spent time and effort optimizing the gun for reliability. By trying to make it something it is not you are destroying it prime atribute, reliablilty.

IMHO.......

Posts: 813 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 02 November 2000Reply With Quote