New
Find
Notify
Tools

Identify grip cap - Dakota vs. Jerry Fisher
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a grip cap which does not quite fit the rifle I planned to put it on - 1 mm too wide.

Although new, I have had it several years and forgot what kind it is. I think it is a Jerry Fisher 2 screw, because the Dakota 2 screw is described as 'solid to allow deep relief engraving' whereas this one has a recess milled into the backside.

Anyone can tell me if the Dakota really is solid / with no recess in the back? [Why does this matter? Dakota is slightly narrower, might work assuming the one I have is the Fisher.]

Also, any suggestions for a Dressels style (old English -- see below) grip cap to fit a pistol grip end that measures approximately 3.2 cm W x 4.7 cm L ??

Thanks,
Todd

Posts: 341 | Location: MI | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I always figured the Dakota cap was solid because that meant less machining for them! I suspect many people lighten them on a milling machine before installation, whether engraved or not.

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Stamped steel cap on the left, from ebay, cast steel Bownell's next, 3rd Jerry Fisher milled steel, last Dressel's milled steel:

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok Forrest I'll take the one on the right... Wink

Seriously though, so the Dakota is solid - the one I have that is milled out definitely came that way. If this is the case and the measurements in the Brownells catalog are correct, the Dakota is a tiny bit narrower than the Fisher and should be perfect.

I just wish Dressels made one that was a touch elongated, to fit my 3.25 x 4.75 stock dimensions. I really like the raised panel.

Any thoughts on how it would look if I narrowed the Dressels cap (evenly, of course) along both sides?

Thanks,
Todd

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will try to post a few photos of my 'work in progress' CZ stock - the one the grip cap is going on. Maybe I will solicit a few suggestions to make it look nicer.

It will be a new thread for that.

TG

one of us
posted Hide Post
Fla3006 is that Fisher a small 1.70 x 1.23?

I have a 2 screw Dakota and it has a round machined recess in the back. To bad dakota has only one size, large.

Im going to order Fisher small and a medium

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote