New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need to finish inside of stock
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have several rifle stocks that were left bare on the inside by the manufacturer. What would be the best thing to seal the wood from moisture.

Posts: 247 | Location: Oz | Registered: 19 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Spar Varnish. I've used it many times.

Posts: 631 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Any finish is better than no finish.
Spar will work fine.

-Spencer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yup. I use McCloskey's marine spar varnish because that's what John Barsness recommends, and also because that's what they had on the shelf at the local hardware store.

Going by the looks of the stuff, I'd be willing to bet that the insides of my stocks are more waterproof than the outsides.

"How do you know this to be true?" -- Finn Aagaard

Posts: 103 | Location: Orange County, CA. | Registered: 17 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Any good finish thinned 50% with mineral spirits..In a properly bedded rifle if you use straight spar, then the barreled action will probably not go back in the wood..and even on a factory rifle 2 or 3 coats of thinned is much better than straight spar or any finish with the exception of a few finishes like Flecto varathane that are water thin to start with...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42156 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Apparently I've never owned a properly bedded rifle... Cool

"How do you know this to be true?" -- Finn Aagaard

Posts: 103 | Location: Orange County, CA. | Registered: 17 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Noel,
Hopefully you will someday, hang in there. Wink

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42156 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Do you guys get Weather Seal or similar products over there? Its sold in DIY shops here in the UK and its meant for exterior woodwork or stone. Has a very, very thin consistancy (like water) and simply soaks straight into untreated wood to waterproof and stablise it.

I give the interior of my stocks a couple of coats of that and then use a decent varnish...

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote