New
Find
Notify
Tools

M94 Winchester Questions
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
1.) Anyone know of any issues with installing a 375 Winchester barrel on a M94 30-30 top eject rifle?

2.) Anyone know the exact differences between the "Big Bore M94" locking plate and the standard M94 locking plate?

Thanks,
ASS_CLOWN

Posts: 1673 | Location: MANY DIFFERENT PLACES | Registered: 14 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
hahahahha

I talked to a gun smith about this last year,,,,If the switch "could" be done it would be much cheaper to simply buy a new rifle.

Posts: 376 | Location: Western, NC, USA | Registered: 29 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PPosey,

Please explain why it cannot be done. The 375 Win is simply a necked up 30-30. I really don't see a problem. I know USRAC lists a seperate and supposedly different locking plate for the 375 Win, hence my question.

ASS_CLOWN

Posts: 1673 | Location: MANY DIFFERENT PLACES | Registered: 14 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would speculate that it is probably possible but will not volunteer to proof it for you. As I recall the Big Bores have more reinforcement that just an improved locking mechanism. You could of course load it to 38-55 levels, but what is the point? Model 94's can be rebarreled about like anything else, but in this case I'd just spring for the BB and be done with it. Of course, I could be wrong.

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Big Bore 94's use a larger barrel shank. IIRC it measures .875" x 28TPI. 30-30 shank is .809" x 20TPI. I believe the Big Bore shank is large enough to rethread for the 30-30 receiver.

A friend bought a 375 barrel from Numrich and I measured the shank. He also wanted to screw it on a standard 94. Back to the drawing board!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Marc,

Thanks for the valuable information. Sounds as though I would be better off starting with a virgin blank instead of buying a service barrel from USRAC.

Still do not understand the reinforcement statements. Should be operating at the same pressures as a 30-30 (which by the way is far higher than a 38-55). Since both the 30-30 and 375 share a common case head the thrust force exerted on the breach should be very similar. Am I missing something??

ASS_CLOWN

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like my gunsmith!

The big bore rifles are made differently that the standard 94's

not much different but enough to make it a hard cross over,,,,,feeding problems ex. and thats after you customize the barrel to make it fit,,,I'd just get an angle eject big bore.

I ended up going the scout scope setup on my 94 30-30 and use it for a snowy day pig tracking gun. Have never had a problem with it not being enough gun with up to 250 pound Russians,,,,pigs that is

Posts: 376 | Location: Western, NC, USA | Registered: 29 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You're welcome. The 375 Win operates at something around 50,000cup. The 30-30 is around 40,000cup or a little more?

I doubt if the locking bolt has much to do with the strength other than it may be made from better steel. The Big Bore receivers are made from different steel than the standard 94 according to a Winchester catalog I have.

The 38-55 can be loaded up over factory specs. Factory loads are held to around 26,000cup for some of the older rifles out there. As you noted the standard 94 can take somewhere around 40,000cup or better. Other than the pressures there is not much difference between the 38-55 and the 375Win.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quote by ASS CLOWN
Quote:

Still do not understand the reinforcement statements. Should be operating at the same pressures as a 30-30...

Hey turdboy, industry standard for the 30-30 is 38,000 cup, 50,000 cup for the 375, that's why. Now why don't you go somewhere else and try to impress someone else with your stellar intelligence. Most of us here are fully aware of your disorder.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Marc,

I was ignorant of the different pressure ratings. I am relatively new to "playing" with the lever guns. I seems that a 38-55 would be the more logical choice then. You wouldn't happen know which shaft thread size USRAC is using for the 38-55 barrels they sell for service, would you?

Thanks again!!

ASS_CLOWN

one of us
posted Hide Post
craigster,

Quote:

Hey turdboy, industry standard for the 30-30 is 38,000 cup, 50,000 cup for the 375, that's why. Now why don't you go somewhere else and try to impress someone else with your stellar intelligence. Most of us here are fully aware of your disorder.

Please see my previous post! I am no expert on these lever gun cartridges. So please forgive my ignorance. My ignorance of lever guns and their cartridges, was the single most pertinent reason for my posting of these questions.

I will also add, that I think you may be confusing "intelligence" with "education" and/or "experience". I am not a smart man, but I am somewhat educated and have a small degree of experience.

If you don't mind my asking, what exactly is your problem with me anyway, as I cannot seem to recall doing anything to you?

ASS_CLOWN

one of us
posted Hide Post
Numerich has 26" octagon .38-55 barrels (avialable in August) for Winchester 94 actions. I'm already in the queue for one.

Posts: 338 | Location: Johnsburg, Illinois | Registered: 15 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
courtney plater,

Thanks for the heads up!

ASS_CLOWN

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Numerich has 26" octagon .38-55 barrels (avialable in August) for Winchester 94 actions. I'm already in the queue for one.

Is it the same contour as real Winchester barrels or chunky like their 30-30 barrels? I always wanted a 38-55.

Posts: 813 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 02 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chunky! They are not tapered and are .835" across the flats. Numrich also lists a round 16" 38-55 barrel.