New
Find
Notify
Tools

So what is a Mex Mauser worth?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Over in Custom Guns Stuart Satterlee pointed out this GB listing for 5 Mex Mausers.
https://www.gunbroker.com/Item/796578327

Several auction cycles later it appears none of these have sold even with a lowered and current price of $250 each or $225 each if you buy them all.

Worth of course is subjective, but I am surprised none of these have sold.

Is the mil surp mauser market getting soft?

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, young guys can't afford to have them built up, and old guys already have what they want.
Easy to sell at half what we think they are worth.

Posts: 17278 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They look like nice clean actions from a distance. Not good enough photos or description, you’d have to be a gamblin’ man.

Posts: 640 | Location: Australia | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
These actions look like the 1936 Mex action as they have the "Springfield" type cocking piece. To bad there isn't a picture of the other side as if I remember correctly the 36 had a gas port on the left rail where the 10 does not. I think I also remember that the 36 has a deeper thumb notch than the 10 as well.

Edward Lundberg

Posts: 343 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 13 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by metal:
Not good enough photos or description, you’d have to be a gamblin’ man.

^^^^ Either bad salesmanship or not a real great value. When in doubt I opt for the latter.

Posts: 10164 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
$175-225 for clean 1910 Mexicans.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5231 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
The cavern between buy and sell is bottomless

Posts: 6484 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I sold a really nice 1936 a number of years ago for $450 and it ended up being part of a very beautiful and expensive rifle.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a decent 1910 one a few weeks ago for $50. Fell for the falacy of a cheap gun; I'd be better off starting with a $750 pre-64 rifle in good condition to build a sporter from. I've got several of those sitting waiting for projects so that would have been the easy route to take.

Unfortunately, it won't be a cheap rifle before I'm finished with it. But, should be an interesting journey along the way. At this point in my life, interesting journeys are primarily what interest me.

Posts: 1115 | Location: Eastern Oregon | Registered: 02 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ssdave:
I bought a decent 1910 one a few weeks ago for $50. Fell for the falacy of a cheap gun; I'd be better off starting with a $750 pre-64 rifle in good condition to build a sporter from. I've got several of those sitting waiting for projects so that would have been the easy route to take.

Unfortunately, it won't be a cheap rifle before I'm finished with it. But, should be an interesting journey along the way. At this point in my life, interesting journeys are primarily what interest me.

Would you mind telling us the costs associated with the action only?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug W:
quote:
Originally posted by ssdave:

Would you mind telling us the costs associated with the action only?

Okay: My action was barreled, complete bolt, no bottom metal.

To start, I bought one of Jim Wisners excellent 3 position safety's. $175

Then, Alaska Arms Model 70 type trigger. I already had this on hand, but they're about $200.

Now, will need to either forge the bolt, or cut off and weld on another one. $100 job, or in my case, the work to do it myself.

Bottom metal, I bought an excellent condition swede trigger guard and floor plate, and will buy the spring and follower. $50 worth of parts. Now I need to recontour the guard, convert the floor plate to hinged, and build a plate latch/release once I decide what kind to do. A lot of work there, or $300+ to buy a nice one from somebody.

Now, recontour and polish the action.

At that point, I'll be into it $475, plus a lot of work. If I didn't do the bolt and bottom metal and contouring/polishing work myself, I'd be into it $900 or more with the bolt work and nice bottom metal and minimal contouring/polishing. And, have an action that's about equal to a pre-64 model 70.

Posts: 1115 | Location: Eastern Oregon | Registered: 02 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I will pay $50 for all the Mauser actions of any model that anyone wants to sell to me.
Yes, best to buy the Model 70s; I will take the Mausers off your hands.
PM me on those.

Posts: 17278 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
I will pay $50 for all the Mauser actions of any model that anyone wants to sell to me.
Yes, best to buy the Model 70s; I will take the Mausers off your hands.
PM me on those.

I'll bid you up a bit; I'll pay $50 plus shipping!

Even though I say starting from a model 70 would be better.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks ssdave for the numbers and the mauser/M70 assessment.

Are you concerned about the receiver hardness?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mexican mausers don’t seem terribly uncommon, but finding one with a nice unpitted bolt and extractor can be difficult.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3292 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by custombolt:
$175-225 for clean 1910 Mexicans.

I paid $235 for this one a few years back.

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote