THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Stock for a Remington Model 700 Ultimate Muzzleloader (2015 model)

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stock for a Remington Model 700 Ultimate Muzzleloader (2015 model)
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted
I have the laminated stock version of a Remington model 700 ultimate muzzleloader (http://ultimatemuzzleloader.com/).
http://ultimatemuzzleloader.com/

Although it's a nicely made and finished stock, it is heavy. It has a big beavertail forend and is more conducive to shooting off a bench than it is actually carrying and hunting with in the field. I packed it for several miles in and out of some dense cover at the beginning of this month for over three days. It was feeling pretty heavy by day three.

The action itself is a true Remington 700 footprint. The barrel is simply straight contour. Obviously it would also need to be inletted for the ramrod.

Any recommendations? Thank you for your time and suggestions.

Posts: 1051 | Location: Dirty Coast | Registered: 23 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
McMillan would be my first choice. I don't know if they inlet for the ML yet or not. A short action inlet should work with adjustment for the barrel and ramrod.

Manners would be my second choice.

Both will need some custom milling to fit both the barrel and the ramrod.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
why don't you just take the stock to someone and have all that extra wood taken off? Seems to me like the simplest fix.

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
McMillan will inlet for muzzleloaders. I have an A3 on my smokeless gun. If you want to sell your stock, shoot me a PM.

one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doubless:
why don't you just take the stock to someone and have all that extra wood taken off? Seems to me like the simplest fix.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. After talking with several of the stockmakers, I think you might be right about fisrt trying to modify the existing stock. I do like the look and color, but she could lose a few pounds (I know... Ha ha).

Anyway, Im going to pull the stock, weight it, take some detailed pictures, and report back for further recommendations.

Thanks again!

Posts: 1051 | Location: Dirty Coast | Registered: 23 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doubless:

Yessir, that's exactly what my plans are for mine.
There's lots of wood to lose and the forend isn't the only place I'll be sculpting.
Zeke

one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted Hide Post
So I got out the digital scale this evening and here is what I found:

stock only - 3 lbs 1/4 oz

Barreled action + bottom metal + scope + rings + ram rod = 6 lbs 11 1/8oz ( Eeker )

So even with some stock whittling, it probably won't lose a significant amount of actual weight. But I do think the slimmer forend would make it feel a lot better offhand.

I'm also considering cutting the barrel to 24". Using the Blackhorn 209 powder, I am getting ridiculous velocities and I think it will still be more than enough out of a 24" barrel that is handier to wield.

Thoughts?

And does anyone have any recommendations on who they would send the stock to for modification and finishing? I don't have anyone near me that I trust.

Thanks!