New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bolt handle jig
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have an adjustable bolt jig from Brownells for silver soldering bolt handles back onto bolts. Works OK most of the time but when I start using swept back handles, longer handles, etc. the jig has to be changed and sometimes I'll end up doing the job 3 or 4 times to ever get everything exactly right on a Remington bolt. Does anyone know about a better jig for soldering handles back onto Remington bolts? Thanks!

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 837 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I made my own based loosely on the Brownells, although it is for welding; not brazing Rem handles on.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You could replace the fixture with two vee blocks, clamping the bolt in one and the handle in the other, and then clamp the bejesus out of the blocks to a plate so they don't move after aligning the parts. Cut holes in the plate to accommodate welding positions.

Once the blocks are clamped to the plate adjustments can be made by tapping the blocks.

I have a welding fixture as you describe- good idea but not as robust and positive as it could be.

In truth, if in the end the jig gives you the alignment you want and it holds the pieces securely enough for you, adjusting such a thing 3-5 times is probably about the norm.

At that, you could fab up a heavier version.

Since you're soldering and the Remington handles wrap partially around the bolt body, can a clamp be made that works directly on the joint the two parts make?

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave Kiff at Pacific Tool and Gauge (PTG) makes a jig for that purpose.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think Kiff's jig is for threading the bolt handle, not for soldering one on.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 837 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used to have one around that threaded in in place of the bolt shroud, and clamped the handle in placeso it could be clecked for position prior to welding. Once it was spooted in place the clamp could be removed, and the weld completed.

Yes it's cocked, and it has bullets too!!!

Posts: 582 | Location: Apache Junction, AZ | Registered: 08 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A Caterpillar D10 dozer isn't heavy enough to hold a handle in place to accomplish a manual silver braze joint.

1-3 attempts at silver brazing renders the bolt body- -junk!!

OEM Rem handles are induction brazed.
The braze process takes approximately 2-3 seconds.

Keep'em in the X ring,
DAN

www.accu-tig.com

Posts: 429 | Location: Fairbanks,AK. | Registered: 30 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
MAny years ago I copied the old Brownells jig. I have to do the same thing. 3-5 adjustment to get everything right. Then weld. When I get around to it I'll make a better fixture but not till work slows down and I have some spare time

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1085 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote