New
Find
Notify
Tools

Blueing touch-up pens, any good?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does anyone here have experience with blueing touch-up pens made by Birchwood Casey? I have a few spots of rust on the bolt knob of my rifle, and despite persistant applications of rust remover and light use of fine steel wool, it keeps coming back. Do I have to remove all the old blueing first, or just buff it a bit with the steel wool and apply? thanks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The quick and temporary kind of blueing is done by depositing copper through chemical reaction between solution and steel, because the reaction is so fast the copper do not have time to crystallize, it is therefore black.

I have used those "quick blueing, no mess" kind of product and I don't like them, it discolor overtime and is too soft.

If there's a small scratch on your bolt that is fine to use but it's not good enough to cover the whole area, remember the copper deposit is soft and your hand will constantly be rubbing the bolt-knob, which will wear them out even faster.

Posts: 638 | Location: O Canada! | Registered: 21 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There not great, but they do cover little blemishes, but are no good for severe marking. They have a place but it is limited, try one and make your own assumptions.

Regards PC.

------------------

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
Don't waste your time on those "blueing Pens". Buy a bottle of 44/40 from Brownells and swab it on the bolt. Many times I've been amazed at how well it covers blemishes and light scratches.-Rob

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote