THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do these rifles have the same thread pattern?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
A test of your knowledge.
Are Remingtion Model 700, Weatherby ULW barrel, Sako AII, and a Tikka LSA-55 threads the same? I believe you can interchange a Remington and Weatherby barrel. The hard part is finding out about the Sako and Tikka.

Posts: 167 | Location: Eastern Shore of MD | Registered: 29 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just because a barrel may have the same thread pitch (16 TPI) does not mean the barrels will interchange. Remington‘s, Sako’s and Weatherby’s all may use a 16 TPI pitch, but the major thread diameters are not the same size.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rick0311,
Thanks. I knew someone on this board would know. I guess that means none of the barrels are interchangeable?
Oh well. Time for plan B.

Posts: 167 | Location: Eastern Shore of MD | Registered: 29 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I could have missed one out there, but I am not aware of any barrel that will do a simple screw on interchange between manufacturers.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Rem 700 thread is 1-1/6" x 16 TPI as is the Weatherby Mark V, not sure about the LW 6 lug version. The 700 and large Mark V barrels are the closest you'll ever get to a "screw in" swap. Even the counterbores are close, but you'll still need a lathe and a reamer.
The Sako AII has a 1" x 16 tpi thread, the same as the Model 70 and the Ruger M77..no knowledge of the Tikka M55.

Posts: 588 | Location: Sherwood Park,Alberta,Canada | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
rembo,

While close...the 700’s and Weatherby Mark V’s are not the same.

Remington: Shank length: .885
Weatherby: Shank length: .700
Remington: Major thread diameter: 1.050
Weatherby: Major thread diameter: 1.060
Remington: Bolt head recess: .700
Weatherby: Bolt head recess: .720

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Remington has a 3/16" (approx) thick recoil lug, .885 - .187 is .698, close enough to .700

The major of a given Wtby thread may measure 1.05 but it's a nominal 1-1/6" thread that has the OD turned a bit under to give the thread more of a flat on top and less point, a moot difference. The Weatherby counter bore is a bit bigger but in a Rem 700 hunting rifle I wouldn't worry about it myself. Putting a Rem barrel into a Wtby would require opening it up to fit the Wtby bolt.Not a problem.IIRC the depths of the counterbores are pretty close at .150"..you would also require a 3/16" thick spacer when putting a Rem barrel into the Wtby to avoid having to set back 3/16.It's been done many times.

quote:
Originally posted by Rick 0311:
rembo,

While close...the 700’s and Weatherby Mark V’s are not the same.

Remington: Shank length: .885
Weatherby: Shank length: .700
Remington: Major thread diameter: 1.050
Weatherby: Major thread diameter: 1.060
Remington: Bolt head recess: .700
Weatherby: Bolt head recess: .720

Posts: 588 | Location: Sherwood Park,Alberta,Canada | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
rembo,

Perhaps we are splitting hairs, but I don’t believe that the necessary work you describe is exactly what I would refer to as “interchangeable†barrels that will “swap†from one brand to another.

One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
I threaded and chambered a Krieger .338 barrel to a Tikka and chambered it to .338 Lapua. The threads are definately not 1" X 16 TPI, they are metric and I cannot remember exactly what. I know that I tried checking the threads on the factory barrel with an SAE Screw pitch gauge and they ain't compatable with any SAE thread.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
OMG Rick said something intelligent, angels and ministers of grace defend us! Before some one pipes up that’s from Hamlet, act one .... scene four! Rick was right! The thread configuration can be correct. But the thread extension lengths are random as would be the headspace configurations and bolt counterbores . You can not even screw one Remington 700 barrel on to another Remington 700 action in the same caliber. It just won’t work. There are a few exceptions. On expensive high quality firearms such as the Weatherby MK V, the Blasers, some of the Saurs and a few others even the lettering will come to top dead center,. Most of the others are machine guns and canons. Rod Henrickson

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Please rod...whatever you do don’t start agreeing with me or I’m going to have to go back and reevaluate whatever I said.

Does Canada have the same bound book record requirements as the BATF has here in the USA? If they do, would you do all of us a favor and post a list of the rifles, with serial numbers, that you have worked on so we all can take that into consideration if we ever run into one for sale?

One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
Well Rick 0311 I wouldn’t get to worried. So you were right once! It may not happen again for a long time! Your posts look just fine to me the way they are so I see no reason to change them. As to your question on the stool pigeon book. No ....... gunsmiths are not required to keep one here in Alberta. Although in some provinces they are. It depends on the provinces Chief Provincial Firearms Officer to make the decision. And as to you running into a gun that I have worked on. The answer would be slim except the guns I worked on years ago when I was in school at The Colorado School of Trades Gunsmithing in Denver Co. You see, your gubberment has been trying to thwart the import of firearms from foreign into the USA. For what reason im not certain. I used to export firearms to the USA when I owned Westgate Gunsports but the US gubberment made it so difficult I finally gave it up. Cause I hurt your feelings I’ll sit here and type out what has to happen for you folks to get a gun from Canada. I don’t do this for just anyone you know and don’t ask for a Xmas present after this!

(1) The buyer must find a mule in the USA. The mule must have a valid FFL.The mule is in charge of getting all of the paper work for the import permits and registering the gun with the BATF and the US department of Commerce.

(2) The mule then contacts the Canadian seller and asks for a Canadian export permit from the department of Emigration and Export Canada.

(3) The seller must have a firearms dealers licence to do this as sales must always go from dealer to dealer in the USA.

(4) The seller contacts Clive Laws office at the department of Emigration and Export Canada with all of the information of the transaction and requests an export permit for the item to the USA.
(Note) This takes 2 to 4 weeks after the request is mailed by the seller

(5) After receiving the permit the seller sends the permit to the mule.

(6) The mule then sends a copy of the export permit and all of the firearms identification to the BATF and requests an import permit for said firearm. This will take 4 to 6 weeks.
(Note) The mule must retain the original export permit as it must accompany the gun when it cross’s the border a copy won’t cut it at the border.

(7) If the firearm happens to be a shotgun the mule must also send all the information to the US Department of Commerce and request an import permit from them. This takes from 2 to 4 MONTHS.

(8) When the mule has all of the permits in place he puts them in an envelope along with a copy of his FFL WHICH HE HAS SIGNED! A photo copied signature is not acceptable and the original export permit and mails it back to the seller.

(9) The seller then photo copies his business permit and sign’s it for good measure tho not required by Canadian law and puts it in the envelope. He boxes up the gun. Tapes the envelope to the box and marks it Att: CAD/US customs.

(10) The seller then contacts the firearms center and Miramichi NB and has the gun stricken from his inventory. He then takes it to the post office and has it sent out.

(11) CANADIAN AND USA CUSTOMS GO HOG WILD FIGURING THEY HAVE THE ILLEGAL EXPORT / IMPORT OF A NUCLEAR DEVICE, 2 YEAR OLD, AMISH CHILD, DRUGS. ASRO ARROW AIRCRAFT OR A SAUDI ARABIAN PIOLET WHO WAS TRAINED IN PENNSYLVANIA AND HAPPENED TO GO HOME FOR THE RELIGIOUS HOLIDAY AND COULDN’T AFFORD AIRFARE AFTER HE LANDED IN TORONTO. Then they get disappointed and let it through after they examine the gun, read the paper work, let the dogs sniff it and the people from area 51 get board.

(12) The gun then gets to the mule who calls the new owner and when he comes to pick it up the mule registers the gun to the new owner with the BATF and bills the new owner one million, seventy one thousand, six hundred, forty two dollars and ninety eight cents for shipping. Handling and paper work.

The Earth has cooled, all the lions have been tamed, virgins converted, and the speed of light has been broken. Who the hell wants to wait that long to get a gun out of Canada? So don’t worry about buying a gun I have worked on. By the way Rick0311 you don’t even get an Xmas card now lmao. Rod Henrickson

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No Xmas card!!!!!!!! bawling